I've Just Landed A Constellation Without Crashing!

Geo

I finaly managed to get a Connie to complement my Omega collection, it is a Gold Cap model from 1966 with a 561 movement.  I went against recommended practice of " get high definition pictures and ask to see the movement".  The pictures were not at all good, and the seller said that he had no means of opening the back.  I'm sure this put off a few folk, but luckily my offer was accepted and it turned out well.  I did know that the crown was incorrect when I bought it.  After a couple of small adjustments it is holding 0 to +2 seconds on the timegrapher. :)

Here are some pictures I've just taken.

post-124-0-80742700-1428958744_thumb.jpg

post-124-0-07402500-1428958772_thumb.jpg

post-124-0-25952800-1428958795_thumb.jpg

A service should smooth out the graph a bit.
  • Like 3

One thing. My info says lift angle is 49° but you have it at 52°.

Ooh goody, tech stuff!

I looked up lift angle and saw what it was in a good little video on YouTube  - 'Classic Watchmaking: How To Determine The Balance Lift Angle Of A Watch Movement '

From what I saw, the only way to change the lift angle would be to restrict the amplitude until the desired angle is reached. I think I understand how that is achieved but could anyone give a definitive answer please?

Thanks

John

Really nice Watch, I like the looks of those calibers and casings. You can't go wrong with a constellation..!

I once had a seamaster automatic from the same era. Gold filled with black dial and arrowhead indexes, a real stunner. Sold it about 8 years ago,

something I will regret for the rest of my Life.. :pulling-hair-out:

Nice watch Geo. Piepan?

One thing. My info says lift angle is 49° but you have it at 52°.

Hi Roberto, It was advertised as a Pie Pan, but t's actually what Omega term a convex dial.

You are correct it does have a 49 degree lift angle and that is the setting I used for the one in the thread on servicing a 561.  I was working on another watch yesterday and too  be honest I simply forgot to set the Timegrapher to 49 degrees.  on an 18000 beat watch it doesn't appear to make much of a difference in the real world, it's still spot on time today.  here is a link to a discussion on another forum that is worth a read.

http://www.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/81647-How-much-does-lift-angle-really-matter

Thats a beauty Geo , nice find ,i'd always thought of them as pie pan so something else i've learnt today  :)

I can understand your confusion Andy because a pie pan looks so similar to mine. On a pie pan the area between the indices is flat, whereas the area between the indices on mine are convex although the style is the same.

I can understand your confusion Andy because a pie pan looks so similar to mine. On a pie pan the area between the indices is flat, whereas the area between the indices on mine are convex although the style is the same.

Thanks Geo , so do Omega do a pie pan or are they all actually convex dials ?

Thanks for the info Gro very interesting, will keep my eyes peeled

If you're looking for one, it's a bit of a mine field. Do a lot of research that way you're not as likely to get your fingers burnt.

I sugest you start off by working your way through everything on this site, it's invaluable! :-

http://omega-constellation-collectors.blogspot.co.uk/

• Like 1

Geo you've got great taste. I love the Omegas from the 50's and 60's. In fact they were my very first watches in my collection watches before I got into all the other crazy watches of the 70's. I have many omegas but I will share these two with you so that I don't hijack your post! My 561 is a fantastic runner and the 504 is somewhat of a rarity with its arrow head markers and low production number. Enjoy the connie "convex" Pie-Pan and wear it well buddy!

post-328-0-52998600-1429062666_thumb.jpg

post-328-0-38440400-1429062672_thumb.jpg

Edited by noirrac1j
  • Like 1