Hello to all,

My name is Ash (from NZ). Im a watch enthusiast and trying to learn more about Horology.

I have been picking odd watch repair jobs here and there and self-learning.

Firstly, thanks a lot to Mark Lovick for uploading fantastic videos on youtube that are so simple to follow. Keep up the great work :)

Question - is there a way to diagnose quartz watch circuit using those test probes (that have an LED inbuilt) or perhaps using a multi-meter? For some watch movements such as Myota 2035, it makes sense to replace the whole movement. In other cases, it make sense to repair it (if possible).

Is there a way to narrow down the faults in quartz watch? For instance, if a watch is gaining/loosing time, it could be the quartz crystal out of freq etc. how can it be scanned appropriately?

Im not sure if its even possible or not. Hopefully I could get some help here.

Thanks a lot in advance

Ash

A friend of mine who's an amateur, but very competent, repairer, has a machine on which he places the watch - minus battery. When he presses a button, the magnetic mechanism inside the machine kicks in and turns the watch movement and hands at high speed. If the hands and movement don't whizz round, he considers the quartz movement to be probably beyond repair - broken circuit board, faulty coil, etc. If the movement does run on the machine, then it may well be repairable.

Apologies if you know this already - I speak as an observer - and apologies for not knowing what the machine's called!

Oh - and a warm welcome to the forum!

Edited by WillFly

Hello Ash,

Welcome to the forum,  which seems to be growing very rapidly, by the way.  I'm afraid I do not know the answer to your question, but I think a good place to start would be to find out the name of the quartz tester Will mentions above.  There are members at all skill levels on the forum and no doubt someone will have more advice for you.

I thought that if it's any other thing than the coil it's u/s. But isn't there something about a coil being separate from the board that changes the games a little. Like the boy's have said the name of that device would be handy and knowledge from the man would be good. There are many levels of skill on the forum so good luck with it and Wecome to the forum btw. ;)

Yes you will need a multimeter and access to the data-sheet for the movement will be a help.

Israel's tool looks really good, but I have not got one. 

Other meter's made by Witschi are extremely expensive but are industry standard, they rarely come up on eBay but you could get a bargain from time to time.

A friend of mine who's an amateur, but very competent, repairer, has a machine on which he places the watch - minus battery. When he presses a button, the magnetic mechanism inside the machine kicks in and turns the watch movement and hands at high speed. If the hands and movement don't whizz round, he considers the quartz movement to be probably beyond repair - broken circuit board, faulty coil, etc. If the movement does run on the machine, then it may well be repairable.

Apologies if you know this already - I speak as an observer - and apologies for not knowing what the machine's called!

Oh - and a warm welcome to the forum!

hi WillFly,

thanks a lot for your comment. that machine is called 'demagnetizer'. if the movement runs freely on magnetizer, that generally means gear train is fine. it also means the fault lies either in coil or circuit. i do have one of those already. its a cheap chinese one but does the trick :)

I was more keen on learning how to fix the circuit, if possible. I have succesfully fixed few coils. they are not too bad. Le arsi has got a good video on it

Cheers for your help :)

Ash

thanks a lot to Autowind, Craig, SeikoWatch & Mark Lovick for their comments.

i have been thinking of building something similar to what LeArsi shows on youtube. looks like a good nifty project :)

Most of all, really appreciate the wearm welcome i have received on this forum so far. Glad to be a part of it.

i have got one more queestion re Watch crystal glass. I will make a seperate thread for it.

Regards

Ash NZ

that machine is called 'demagnetizer'. if the movement runs freely on magnetizer, that generally means gear train is fine. it also means the fault lies either in coil or circuit. i do have one of those already. its a cheap chinese one but does the trick :)

Not sure I recommend a de-magnetiser. I know it pushes the wheels around but my fear is it would potentially affect the stepping motor. I have no evidence of this - it's just that I can be a cautious bugger :)

The Etic Polytest and Omnitest both have that function plus they generate a signal to indicate if power is going through the circuit.

They are great machines, and come in very handy - I have had them for years.

Sadly they are no longer being manufactured but I do understand there are some alternatives out there.

post-1-0-08582600-1392936734_thumb.jpg

I have fixed a few coils in the past but circuits are not my thing, if I feel one is damaged I would rather replace it if I can ;)

Hi Ash welcome to the forum. I'm curious too about your question so please keep us posted of any progress...and if you build a tester I might be interested! Quartz is not my line of expertise ( and barely the others either, I'm a beginner).

On 2/20/2014 at 6:34 AM, Ashnz said:

Hello to all,

My name is Ash (from NZ). Im a watch enthusiast and trying to learn more about Horology.

I have been picking odd watch repair jobs here and there and self-learning.

Firstly, thanks a lot to Mark Lovick for uploading fantastic videos on youtube that are so simple to follow. Keep up the great work :)

Question - is there a way to diagnose quartz watch circuit using those test probes (that have an LED inbuilt) or perhaps using a multi-meter? For some watch movements such as Myota 2035, it makes sense to replace the whole movement. In other cases, it make sense to repair it (if possible).

Is there a way to narrow down the faults in quartz watch? For instance, if a watch is gaining/loosing time, it could be the quartz crystal out of freq etc. how can it be scanned appropriately?

Im not sure if its even possible or not. Hopefully I could get some help here.khz. 

Thanks a lot in advance

Ash

Hi Ash, you would need an Accurate frequency counter.  Look across the XTAL or from the XTAL OUT to the Batt+ve rail for 32768 Hz. (32.768 KHz) There is a Small Cap from XTAL out to the batt +v rail,  preset at the manufacturer for final trimming. You can slow the Osc down by making a gimmick Cap of say 6 twisted ECW turns tight together,  Solder it from XTAL ouput to +v rail or across the XTAL and then trim to length for the correct frequency. Good luck with this one .  Always set for a slight gain say 0.2 Secs/day. Early Quartz watches did have adjustment but not nowadays. You can only speed the Osc up by filing the actual XTAL element or changing the Osc trimming cap for one with less capacitance. I was an electronic engineer and I could not be bothered with this.  Always try cleaning the watch first or give it the line free treatment. I hope this is of help, Mike.

Edited by ecodec
More info.