New member from sunny Norfolk

vince2507

Hi everyone, I have amassed a small collection of watches,  some inherited and some bought.  I am a Audio Visual engineer and have always been fascinated by watches.  Inspired by Mark's youtube channel, I tried to strip and rebuild a watch movement.  To my amazement I found it very therapeutic and was capable of handling all the small parts, (except the power train).  I put the mainspring in back to front, and when I realised my error, I started to disassemble it again and bam!!!!!! I never did find the cover.  To date, that is the only thing I have lost.  Dropped loads of screws etc but always found them eventually.  Well and truly got the bug (and a lathe) now.

Stay safe everyone

Vince

• Like 1

16 hours ago, vince2507 said:

"...  To my amazement I found it very therapeutic ..."

Welcome to the forum!  I find the hobby/trade very soothing also.  I think many here do as well.  Once I get into the zone, there is nothing but myself, my tools, and the watch.  Even the passage of time doesn't register (so I sometimes wear an alarm watch if I need to be somewhere later).  It's like a kind of zen, or meditation.  Sure, there'll be occasional frustration at times, but it never touches the deep fascination we have for the work we do.  Enjoy!  Have fun!  Ask us questions!  We're all here for each other!