Hamilton Crystal Question

les13

I am a newbie. This is my first attempt at refurbishing a watch. I have finished Mark’s level 1 and 2 classes. Level 3 may answer some of my questions, but I have not started it yet.

See photos of the watch in question. A Hamilton front loader. Crystal measures 30.14 mm and case is 33.14 mm. I see lots of round crystals for Hamilton watches, but I am assuming there is a special designation for crystals for front loading watches. What should I be looking for?

Thanks in advance.

e91e28ce488d5ac6efc64640cd59591f.jpg

ebcad1f246462616bc7fe8313d2f4996.jpg

7a595b5ee365f6eab079097f5c634c0d.jpg

ea0894a0985abd27d44db1d79441b7db.jpg

9 hours ago, les13 said:

I am assuming there is a special designation for crystals for front loading watches. What should I be looking for?

There is not. Acrylic crystal of the right dia, height and profile on the lip that fits is. You may also need a tool to install it, personally I suggest a plier type over a claws one.

Normally cases that require special crystals have a reference number. There appears to be a serial number but no case number? I don't suppose there's any marking on the back side of the case?

Nothing helpful on the back. Well, there is an inscription dated 1965. That is helpful I guess.

bf82896e807d57a275704b802f8d0dd1.jpg
07230fd3c026c890bf8c7df7c7f7c67c.jpg
3d90d39cf33e55e4f50e9efa277f5212.jpg

After much reading, I have found similar Hamilton watches from the 1960s use a GS PA467-6 or -14. These appear too large - 31.11 mm vs my measurement of 30.80. However, my crystal was loose enough that I popped it out with my thumbnail. If The new crystal does not fit my case, I will at least have something to compare against.

I have a link below that has the GS catalog. Scroll down to page 100 and you get into the PA section if it is a specific crystal it should be found there someplace.Then on page 116 it shows the shapes of their generic crystals basically your Crystal may be a PHD.

For the second plank scroll down until you get the three cross-references the generic ones. Each one has Hamilton crystals some have a case number or name and others have apparently no such identification but you will see all the different crystals that they had.

https://gssupplies.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/G-S-Crystal-Catalog.pdf

https://gssupplies.com/plastic/

Les, where are you located?

Cool to see a 25-year watch from P&W. I do a lot of work for them overhauling F100-229 compressor blades. They are down the road in East Hartford. Our shop is in Wast Hartford. 

And G-S is the best bet fur a crystal. Even if what you want isn’t in stock, once you know the number you can search eBay. I’ve gotten plenty of crystals there. Lots of old stock lying around. 

Les, where are you located?
Cool to see a 25-year watch from P&W. I do a lot of work for them overhauling F100-229 compressor blades. They are down the road in East Hartford. Our shop is in Wast Hartford. 

And G-S is the best bet fur a crystal. Even if what you want isn’t in stock, once you know the number you can search eBay. I’ve gotten plenty of crystals there. Lots of old stock lying around. 

Tudor, I am in Baton Rouge, LA. I bought the watch from a jewelry store / pawn shop in Beaumont, TX. P&W had facilities all over the U.S., but I have no idea where the person who owned this watch worked. I really like watches with inscriptions on them.

I still am not 100% certain of the G-S number, but I bought a crystal off of eBay. I should have it in a week or so. If nothing else, I will eliminate crystals that do not fit my watch.

GE has a plant in Beaumont. I spent a lot of time down there for a former employer writing robot programs for them. That plant is closed now. 

Anything other than pawn shops in Beaumont these days? I collected a bunch of nice Snap-On tools on each trip down there. Went to Space Center Houston a bunch of times too. That’s always fun!

I think Pratt had a shop in San Antonio.