Starting a new journey

Orologi67

Hello 

I am Stephen.  I own a clock shop in Palm Springs, CA.  i am a self taught clock repairman with approx 17 years experience.  My college education was in apparel design so i have always been interested in 3 dimensional "puzzles".  My knowlege of clock repair is pretty extensive however i think i will be able to make more $ adding watch services to the mix.

Tools (and decent quality ones) have always been an important aspect of anything i do.  Ive had a very nice watchmakers punch set since almost the beginning of my clock training.  Youd be surprised how many clockmakers dont own a good punch set!  Even with clock movement repair, the punch set is priceless. 

Im a bit of a snob, but a friendly one.  I dont judge others but when i trained myself for clocks I worked almost exclusively on high grade movements.  Mostly european.  Junkers bought on ebay.  Ive worked on clocks that have pivots like hairs.

So now after years of telling myself i dont want to work on something smaller than a carriage clock platform escapement, i decided i want to learn the intricacies of watch repair.  This is probably due to life taking a turn with this epidemic.  Ive got more time on my hands.  But i do love learning.  Especially things having to do with timepieces.

I recently bought a very pretty English pocketwatch made in Liverpool.  Its a fusee with verge escapement.  Ive disassembled it.  The parts, case, dial are all in little containers.

I have since been purchasing items to add to my tools to clean and repair it.  Thats how ive always rolled.  Buy a timepiece you love, analyze it, buy the tools you need to fix it correctly.  Then those tools can be used on the next piece and the next.  Move slow.  Have patience.  And never underestimate your own stupidity.  Haha

Ill be lurking mostly.  Unless ive got some question i cant find an answer to.  But Im glad this group is here.  And im glad to have found it.  Cheers from the sunny desert.

Stephen

Screenshot_20200403-203431_eBay.jpg

Welcome fellow Southern Californian (I'm in western LA County), you came to a good place to learn and share what you have learned. With your experience with clocks, watches should be nothing but fun for you. At least they don't take up as much space when you're storing whatever you have to store. Good luck with your fusee project and future challenges.

• Like 1