rduckwor

Spring Wire for a click spring, 0.15MM

Question

10 answers to this question

4 hours ago, rogart63 said:

Try music wire. You can buy guitar string in different sizes.  Perfect to make click springs and such from. 

Thanks.  I bought the finest steel strings I could find, too large at 0.25MM.  I need 0.15MM wire.

RMD

The finest guitar string is the 'Extra Super Light' E string which is 0.0008 inches which is 0.02032mm , so yes if you need finer guitar strings won't cut it I'm afraid.

Edited by Tmuir

8 minutes ago, Tmuir said:

The finest guitar string is the 'Extra Super Light' E string which is 0.0008 inches which is 0.02032mm , so yes if you need finer guitar strings won't cut it I'm afraid.

You're off by a decimal place there, 0.008" 0.203mm.

You must of read my post as soon as I posted it, as I realised and edited it only seconds after I posted it, clearly just before you quoted me as its correct in your quote. :-)

2 hours ago, Tmuir said:

You must of read my post as soon as I posted it, as I realised and edited it only seconds after I posted it, clearly just before you quoted me as its correct in your quote. :-)

Ha sorry!

From a discussion a while back on a machinists forum there was mention of California Fine Wire and Mount Joy Wire. I just checked Mount Joy and they have it down to .004" (.10mm) and finer on request; no idea what their minimum order is though.

I have looked at an old Lorsa that I'm servicing and the springs are of rectangular section. In the calendar works one is  0.20 x 0.40mm, another 0.15 x 0.30mm, and the click one should be like the latter, but (thanks heaven) it's in place already so I can't check.

I think the rectangular section helps in fitting and keeping the spring  in place - we all know how terrible these thingies can be. I would also be interested in finding a source for proper wire.

Stainless steel hard wire of 0.15mm for spring applications definitely exists: https://stainless-wire.co.uk/hard-wire-piano-wire/coils-o-0-10-to-0-80mm/product/stainless-steel-hard-wire-13815.html

Now just to try and find smaller quantities...! I've read it's sometimes used by anglers to make lures so this may be another avenue...?

I've just measured some of the generic shepherds crook springs that you can get from Cousins: https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/shepherds-hook-springs-wristwatch

Whilst these of course aren't click springs, they do come in a variety of widths ... including the 0.15mm you need. They're also quite large so should give enough material to perhaps adapt / shape for the click spring you need.  They're also inexpensive so might be worth a punt if you come up blank through other routes. Just an idea... :)