rduckwor

Spring Wire for a click spring, 0.15MM

Question

10 answers to this question

4 hours ago, rogart63 said:

Try music wire. You can buy guitar string in different sizes.  Perfect to make click springs and such from. 

Thanks.  I bought the finest steel strings I could find, too large at 0.25MM.  I need 0.15MM wire.

RMD

The finest guitar string is the 'Extra Super Light' E string which is 0.0008 inches which is 0.02032mm , so yes if you need finer guitar strings won't cut it I'm afraid.

Edited by Tmuir

2 hours ago, Tmuir said:

You must of read my post as soon as I posted it, as I realised and edited it only seconds after I posted it, clearly just before you quoted me as its correct in your quote. :-)

Ha sorry!

From a discussion a while back on a machinists forum there was mention of California Fine Wire and Mount Joy Wire. I just checked Mount Joy and they have it down to .004" (.10mm) and finer on request; no idea what their minimum order is though.

I have looked at an old Lorsa that I'm servicing and the springs are of rectangular section. In the calendar works one is  0.20 x 0.40mm, another 0.15 x 0.30mm, and the click one should be like the latter, but (thanks heaven) it's in place already so I can't check.

I think the rectangular section helps in fitting and keeping the spring  in place - we all know how terrible these thingies can be. I would also be interested in finding a source for proper wire.

Stainless steel hard wire of 0.15mm for spring applications definitely exists: https://stainless-wire.co.uk/hard-wire-piano-wire/coils-o-0-10-to-0-80mm/product/stainless-steel-hard-wire-13815.html

Now just to try and find smaller quantities...! I've read it's sometimes used by anglers to make lures so this may be another avenue...?

I've just measured some of the generic shepherds crook springs that you can get from Cousins: https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/shepherds-hook-springs-wristwatch

Whilst these of course aren't click springs, they do come in a variety of widths ... including the 0.15mm you need. They're also quite large so should give enough material to perhaps adapt / shape for the click spring you need.  They're also inexpensive so might be worth a punt if you come up blank through other routes. Just an idea... :)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By arkobugg
      Hello mates!!
      Working on a  French Ebauche  FE  Cal. 4611, and cant figure out how to put the click and click spring, it had movede all around when I took out the ratchet wheel.
      Pls help!!

• By rduckwor
      Elgin 712/713 shock spring.  Does anyone know the name of this particular type of shock spring?  Thanks,

RMD

• By Lenj
      Hi all,
      Strange I have two Fema clock movements to repair, both with broken mainsprings and one with a broken click spring, can you please tell me, are the click springs readily available???has anyone bought one, if so where from?
      Photo attached of good click spring, this is the type that I need.. 
      Hope you are all well..
      Thx Len

• By rduckwor
      Does anyone have a source for the two - ended shock springs for a 7s26 movement.  My is in the Netherlands.  Not the three lobed DiaShock , but the cheaper two-ended.  I cannot locate them on Cousins or Ofrei.  Sieko "hold spring" P# 0015703

Thanks,

RMD