I hear guys talking about "Trench Watches" so what is the draw? I have seen a couple in photos & thats all.

What are they , how do you tell real from fake, what should I look for when shopping for one, & not getting taken for a ride.

Any help & photos along with your experiences would be of great value to someone who is just thinking about sticking his toes in the trench watch (WATER)

Thanks

Edited by TimFitz
missed something

"Trench watch" has become of a bit of a catch all term to describe wire lug watches made during the period of the 1914-18 war a true trench watch made specifically for military use or for the use of serving personnel has to be a luminous dial and hands type, water, dust resistant  in some way most notably Borgel cased watches and have either an unbreakable crystal or shrapnel guard to protect it anything else is just a wire lugged watch of the period although many serving personnel would have worn these as well they would not have been up to the riggers of trench warfare.

this is a excellent site packed with information on trench watches:

http://www.vintagewatchstraps.com/trenchwatches.php

Edited by wls1971

One way of weeding out most "fake" trench watches (still very old watches but ones that most likely didn't see any action) is by ignoring watches that don't have the shrapnel guard as wls pointed out (although some could have had one and then it was broken or removed for various reasons...) and those that don't have markings on the back. Generally the authentic ones that were issued would have various extra markings.

The term is used extensively on eBay - usually wrongly. As wls1971 quite rightly points out. It’s become a catch-all phrase for transition watches, where small pocket watches started to become wristwatches. Done to attract buyers, I guess.

Caveat emptor! B)

Quite often women's watches from that period are also called trench watches and described as 'officers watches' as sellers think they will sell for more money if advertised that way.

This is not a hard and fast rule, but if the dial is less than 28mm or has gold decoration on it, it is probably a woman's watch, not a trench watch. Nothing wrong with collecting 1920s women's watches, I've got a couple which I have restored for my wife, with one of them being sold as an 'Officers Trench watch' which it obviously wasn't as it was a woman's watch and hallmarked 1922, but it was still a nice watch and I got it for a good price.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Mac
      Hi I’m Marc.
      I’m an engineer by trade and love a challenge so why not Horology! Spent some time years ago at Aspreys (visiting!) and have loved watches ever since... 20 years later I bought some tweezers haha!
      I’m new to this and have just rebuilt a BFG866. I have asked for help reattaching the hairspring in another area on here. 
      The best to all 

• By antonyh
      Yet another fake Omega on Ebay, or am I wrong 

• By dhh
      I know nothing about pocket watch repair, but I would like to learn. If anyone can suggest a book (or books) for beginners, please do so. Also, the tools and watch parts I should have and where I can buy them. I do have a small metal lathe and milling machine (I am a half-ass machinist), but I’am limited to very simple parts.
      Thanks for your help,
      dhh
      dhudson2@rochester.rr.com
    • By everages92
      ok so ive recently become obsessed with watches. I have obtained a broken invicta pro diver, and this has led to much research on how to fix it... I'm starving for more knowledge... where and how do you suggest I go about finding this knowledge. I have noticed there isn't as much info on the internet as I had hoped... I plan to get a work bench and do this as a hobby and possibly one day as a means of extra income... I guess u could say im just looking for advice and places books etc that can help me 
    • By Ullas
      Hi all, this is my first post here. I repair watches as a hobby, and usually work on my own watches. This particular watch, along with two others, were give to a friend of mine, by his father, about three days before he passed away recently. The three watches, hence have an emotional value to my friend, and so, I wanted to get them going again. I fixed the QMax (Replaced battery), Titan (PCB and Coil, new battery, glass), and am working on this Rolex now. Almost all Indicators of a genuine Rolex that I have read of online, are absent, hence making me believe its most definitely a fake. i.e. No serial number or any stamping anywhere on case, no Logo on crown, Dial looks as if its been lacquered, bad finish, bracelet, and most importantly, no markings on the movement, and the movement was not used on any Rolex to my knowledge. Please enlighten me on this, if I am wrong.
      The issue I have now, is that, on the movement, there were no markings whatsoever, of the make or model. There were only serial numbers that read as "34B - 963125". After searching a lot, I realized, its an ETA 963.125, and photos on the internet matched with the movement I have. No marking of ETA on the movement (a fake again?). Its in a pretty rough shape, with the quartz oscillator (forgive my lack of knowledge of its correct name, as mechanics call it a "condenser" here), fallen apart. I did a preliminary  search with the mechanics and spares shop here, and they all said its very old and parts are not available. Only one said, he will get me a scrap movement, but I am a bit doubtful. I was able to get a service manual for ETA 963.124 online. My question now is, is it possible to get these spares, or the whole movement anywhere in Bangalore, India? (my place), or is it possible to replace the whole movement with a different one, with the day and date windows matching with the dial? Or is it possible to reuse the same day and date rings on a different movement? Can anyone advice me on this? TIA. Pictures attached, forgive the lower quality, problem with my mobile cam.