Woods AAAA Oil ("spreading type oil")

Question

Hello all,

I'm about to service a Timex 260 electric movement.  It's running strong as-is, but I doubt that it has been cleaned or lubricated in its lifetime.  I do have the service manual for the movement and for most of the oil points, the SM calls for Moebius Synt-A-Lube, without specifying a product number (I intend to use Moebius 9010), but for the friction pinion the manual calls for "spreading type oil" (Woods AAAA oil).  I cannot find a cross-reference for this old Woods oil and most watch oils are, of course, specifically formulated to NOT spread...  so, I'm seeking advice and suggestions for a suitable oil to use on the friction pinion.  Also, if anyone thinks that 9010 is NOT appropriate to use for the various other points, please let me know.

Thanks much!

Ben

6 answers to this question

Thank you for your suggestion, rogart63.  You may be correct about the Epilame, but I'm not sure that's what they are referring to in this instance. The manual recommends stripping the movement only so far as removing the balance wheel and bridge -- then cleaning the remainder as a unit, and finally applying the oils -- so if a person follows this procedure, I can't see any reasonable way to get an even coating on the relevant part.

I have attached a screencap from the service manual, showing the location where they want the "spreading oil" applied (it's marked as "A").  The impression I get is that they are calling for an oil that will wick into gaps.

I can see how a grease might work here, though -- thank you for the suggestion.

PointA.png

I think that HP-1300 would be just fine there as recommended by many manufacturers. One of its best characteristics is that is stays exactly where you put it.

Edited by jdm
5 hours ago, WorldPowerLabs said:

Thank you for your suggestion, rogart63.  You may be correct about the Epilame, but I'm not sure that's what they are referring to in this instance. The manual recommends stripping the movement only so far as removing the balance wheel and bridge -- then cleaning the remainder as a unit, and finally applying the oils -- so if a person follows this procedure, I can't see any reasonable way to get an even coating on the relevant part.

I have attached a screencap from the service manual, showing the location where they want the "spreading oil" applied (it's marked as "A").  The impression I get is that they are calling for an oil that will wick into gaps.

I can see how a grease might work here, though -- thank you for the suggestion.

PointA.png

They probably mean something else? Something that will spread around under there? Have no idea actually? 

Maybe could dilute 9010 with Naptha so that it spreads more easy? 

Thank you both for your replies.  I had a chance to begin stripping the movement apart and I found that I can actually gain good access to the friction pinion by disassembling the movement just a little beyond the officially-recommended degree of disassembly -- and by doing so, I'll be able to oil it directly with 9010 rather than hoping that the oil will spread to the proper area.

• Similar Content

• By PiercePrzybyla
      Hey, new to the hobby and found myself starting with old timex watches. I have found that when I swapped my m24 movement with an m72 movement my second hand will slip and fall to the 6 o'clock position when the face is held perpendicular to the ground. Any ideas for a newbie?
    • By Graziano
      Well here goes. At my work wrist watches are forbidden so I dug up a vintage no name pin pallet pocket watch out of my collection,so if I damage it all OK. I stripped the movement out of the case cleaned it in the ultrasonic wholus bolus. Put it back together. And experimented with oiling all pivots and pin pallet with only mobius 9415. D5 on the mainspring and 9415 on time setting mechanism. Well 3 years later it is still running perfect. Here is some photos. Tomorrow I will relume the hands with Superluminova. Mmmmmmm. I never set the time and have kept it wound seven days a week for 3 years as an experiment. Once I am home back on goes a wristwatch. Has anyone else done a lube experiment. I must admit this old German movement is like a tractor. 

• By terrapinrecs
      Does anyone have any experience cleaning up tarnished numbers? I have a 1962 Timex Marlin that needs a little bit of work to really show it's potential. 
      The dial is in nice shape for the most part other than the numbers....I would be open to any suggestions??
      Thanks in advance! 
      Jamie
      edit: I suspect the tarnish was caused by deterioration of the lume dots that have NOT aged well...

• By HectorLooi
      This was sitting in my junk pile for some time. I was looking for a spare contact wire for one of my Timex Electrics, and I remembered that the Timex Electronic has a contact wire. But when I opened it up, it was a totally different beast inside.
      The movement number on the dial plate is 882, which I checked up is a M87. The balance appeared fine. So I put a battery in to see if it would fire up. And it does!
      After cleaning it up, it doesn't look half bad. And now I have to continue searching for a contact wire....

• By HectorLooi
      I started disassembling this Timex 21 jewel M75 last night. Having an obsessive compulsive nature, I couldn't stop at just removing the calender works and soaking the movement in naptha. I removed almost everything except the mainspring. Including every endstone. 
      I have not seen any other watch with so many endstones. My question is, what oil do I use for a Timex? Do I use the whole gamut of D5, 9010, 9415, molykote DX...?
      All other Timex posts on this forum only mention oiling but don't talk about what oil to use.
      I'm sure JerseyMo must be shaking his head and laughing so hard now.