Replacement movement screws

jguitron

Hello everyone,

As I was on my knees searching for a tiny calendar mechanism screw that flew across my desk I was wondering what I'd do if I couldn't find it... thankfully I did find it but that left me wondering what experts do when trying to restore movements if screws are missing or broken.

I figure that other than obtaining another non-working movement to use it to replace the missing parts there's not a whole lot more? If the movement is modern enough to have a tech guide and the part number is identified, can one usually order that specific part? Can individual screws be bought? I've seen sets of generic screws but that couldn't possibly replace most of the screws, right? I wonder if the lathe is the only solution in some cases, but if you don't have the measurements?...

I'm sure many must have been in my situation before me and I will likely be there again sooner or later ;-)

Would love to hear what lengths you've gone to find replacement parts like screws...

Cheers!

I bought a little box of screws from Ebay some years ago. Have found most of the screws i have lost in that little box. But from time to time i am on the floor seeking and looking for that lost parts. 

Have updated my little box with screws from Cousinsuk. And bought some old movements at auction sites. 

• Like 1

I bought a little box of screws from Ebay some years ago. Have found most of the screws i have lost in that little box. But from time to time i am on the floor seeking and looking for that lost parts. 

Have updated my little box with screws from Cousinsuk. And bought some old movements at auction sites. 

I'm pleasantly surprised to hear that the assortment box has been useful! Can you share the specific one?

I have to say that this $12 magnet sweeper from Home Depot has saved me quite a bit of money!!

92c5ba250fdfb6988695b43ecdd1f925.jpg

7bf20b97fd8ec27d2dee483632fe1231.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love this thread! I mentioned to my wife shortly after getting into watch repair how relaxing it is to work on a watch. Her reply was, "I don't see how spending an evening on your hands and knees looking for a screw can be relaxing at all!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I always have a few left over after a service and collect those....:)...Isn't it satisfying turning the washer basket upside down after a job and seeing nothing is left over....

Started with ebay and after  awhile the store grew with odds and ends....I also use magnetic sheets (the ones the pollies/advertisers give us in the mail) to pick up for the ones that slip through...seems to work quite well.

• Like 1