Replacing balance shaft on Girard-Perregaux 03B

noirrac1j

Hello,

This Girard-Perregaux watch (21 Jewel, calibre 03B) runs fine in dial up position, but will start to sputter and sometimes even stops as it is rotated to dial-down position. I looked closely at the hairspring balance shaft and noticed one of the ends looks eroded and short. I am hoping to replace the balance shaft with a new one which I have purchased from the Netherlands (vacheron seller on ebay). 

DSCN3257.JPG

1.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

8.JPG

Now, what I am seeking in posting this is help with:

1) Confirmation of the need to replace the balance shaft judging from the pictures--

2) Can I perform the balance shaft swap without a staking set and poising tool?

P.S. I looked up some info, and I know I have to mark on  the balance wheel before I remove the roller table and jewel

Thanks very much in advance for any information.

JC

45 minutes ago, clockboy said:

I don't know of any way to remove a balance staff without the use of a staking tool, a Platax tool or a lathe.

What ever tool you use you will still need a staking tool to fit the new one.

•  

Thanks for the reply. I'll have to look at some of Marks videos videos, start bidding for a staking set, and also get a spare movement for when I mess up....:huh:

JC

8 hours ago, IllinoisWatch said:

staking set - must

poising tool - not critical as long as the roller goes back in the same position you removed it. 

i recommend buying a ut 6497 to practice with, because if you destroy that roller or bend the wheel bad your going to have a hard time getting parts. GP always was bad about parts

Unitas 6497...OK. The Platax tool is stratospherically priced for a poor man like me. I'll have to try to either get a donor movement and *pray* that it arrives intact, or go ahead with securing a staking set. This 03B movement is impossible to get parts for. Its such a nice lookin watch and the 36mm size makes it look modern interns of proportions...Have to put it aside until I can afford one of the options. Thanks for the reply.

JC

Hello,

I think this 03B is a GP manufactured movement based on the AS 1130. The Urdelar website says the GP 03b is all parts same as AS1130 except the plate, bridges and balance cock http://www.urdelar.se/girard-perregaux?product_id=3000.

When I go to the Ranfft website however, it states the GP03 balance shaft is U2392; while the AS 1130 is U2823/U892/U3132. I am trying to secure a good staking set and would welcome any suggestions. I am also going to see if a donor movement with a good balance is perhaps a cheaper and easier alternative. The endpoint is the same in both cases: enable this watch to run and keep time.

note: The watch started to run when I picked it up as can be seen in photograph, but it  sounds off, and the balance wheel is wobbling slightly.

DSCN0773.jpg

I will be very appreciative for any help I can get on this project!

Regards,

JC

Edited by noirrac1j
too many notes!

Looks to me like the lower pivot (under the roller table) is pretty much gone.  That probably explains why the watch will run dial up, since it will be sitting on the other pivot which looks a little bit better.  Any other position would be a problem though.

You'll certainly require a staking set to rivet the new balance staff in place.  The Platax tool or lathe would be the best way to remove the old staff but both will be expensive.  You can find some K&D Balance Staff Removers on eBay (they'll work with the K&D staking set) but I've never used one and cannot say if it's a worthwhile expenditure or not.

If you know a good watchmaker in your area that person may be willing to remove the old staff for you though- that might be the most economical solution.

That's a really nice movement too- it looks like most of the gear train is capped with jewels.

23 hours ago, RyMoeller said:

Looks to me like the lower pivot (under the roller table) is pretty much gone.  That probably explains why the watch will run dial up, since it will be sitting on the other pivot which looks a little bit better.  Any other position would be a problem though.

You'll certainly require a staking set to rivet the new balance staff in place.  The Platax tool or lathe would be the best way to remove the old staff but both will be expensive.  You can find some K&D Balance Staff Removers on eBay (they'll work with the K&D staking set) but I've never used one and cannot say if it's a worthwhile expenditure or not.

If you know a good watchmaker in your area that person may be willing to remove the old staff for you though- that might be the most economical solution.

That's a really nice movement too- it looks like most of the gear train is capped with jewels.

Hello Ry, Yes you're correct about the pivot under the roller table being the suspected culprit. But it runs better dial side down! I am going to try to get a staking set, but the darn things are so expensive. I am also trying to get a donor movement which will come in handy as well. Thank you for the input.

JC

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Watchtime said:

I found these but I am not sure because of the numbers on the envelope...Should I look for the numbers U2392 as I have 2392 but it has another brandname on it....or a 2823 stamped Omega...

IMG_1285.JPG

Hello Watchtime,

I don't know which of these would work. I know that on some website it says that Ronda 3926 is the replacement for the Girard 03b balance staff. I also obtained the measurements, although it probably won't help:

Screen Shot 2016-12-20 at 1.56.40 PM.png

Thanks very much for your efforts! They are much appreciated....

JC

• Similar Content