rbfesquire

How to measure this glass

Question

Hi guys,

I have this lovely old Seiko, but the glass is broke. Round glasses, obviously are done by diameter. However, the sizes come with dimensions of, for example  MBr 139x139.1 Sternkreuz. How do you figure out what size it is, and what you need?

IMAG0925[1].jpg

11 answers to this question

Check boley for a part number and you will probably be able to find a generic on borel or ofrei. If that fails, contact them directly. They have custom and fitting crystal service (borel mainly: Rosemary (?) their glass person does that, she is there twice a week: Tue and Thurs (?) ).

The rim looks like it is separate from the case. I tried to lift it away by using a razor to open a gap but it is on tight.  You can also see what looks like a white nylon spacer in the case. 

I don't think that the rim is removable.

The white rim should be removable. Didn't notice that

Take the seal out, then measure the inside where the glass sits. It looks quite deep so measure that too.

Once you have the case width, find the seal size on cousins gasket finder. This will also give you the glass width. Then just order the relevant glass thickness and width. Order one a bit bigger as sometimes the glass comes out a bit small.

Judging by the depth it'll be an L gasket. I always order a new one.
https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/l-ring-for-180mm-to-200mm-glasses-sternkreuz

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By JayK
      Hello All.
      I'm a fellow watch enthusiast from the North-East of England. I hope everyone is keeping well.
      I recently bought myself a cheap watch repair kit, dusted off the old watch storage box and started to giving my watches the attention they required, it's been going quite well so far but do need some guidance with the correct steps of putting the workings and the case back on for my Accurist GMT Grand Complication, hopefully I will do a separate post on this with pics.
      Anyway hope everyone is having a decent Friday night. 
    • By HectorLooi
      I just received my Seiko 7006A that I bought off ebay. The watch appeared quite nice in the photos, but alas it wasn't in real life.
      The rotor had a "clunking" sound, as describe by the seller. Should be fixable....
      When I opened it up, I couldn't get the movement out from the back. Was it a front loader? The crystal didn't look like it would come off with a crystal lift. After careful examination and prodding around. I managed to pry the movement ring off. Someone had glued the crystal on with so much glue that it seeped under the movement ring.
      When the movement came out, my heart sank. Someone had pried the dial off with so much force that it wrinkled the dial! 
      He even broke 1 dial foot and bent the other.
      But the last straw was when I discovered the mainspring barrel had been damaged!
      I've searched cousins and ebay for a replacement and even a donor movement to no avail.
      Does anyone know if the barrels from other Seiko models will fit a 7006A? Like maybe a 7S26?

• By oldboy
      I am considering selling leather watch straps, but I have a question before I blindly go ahead and produce a bunch of them.
      I am wondering if anybody who has worked in the industry for a while can tell me what the most common sizes are of strap pins or lug widths?
      I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
      Anthony
    • By x83
      I was given a 1973 seiko lord matic (5600-9001) recently and I am very fond of it. The acrylic is in pretty good condition and the case isn't too scared up. There are only 3 problems with the watch. First, the case is a little bit dirty between the lugs. Second it gains about 15 seconds a day. Thirdly, the original bracelet is too small, so I tried to replace it and found that one of the spring bars is stuck. I don't really know what to do with the watch so I came here to get some advice. Should I take it to a local  jeweler, send it to the seiko service center (probably a bad idea), or try to work on it myself? If there is anyone on the site that is able to work on the watch I would consider that as well.

Thanks in advice for any advice.0
    • By Trevelyan
      Hi,  the bracelet on my SARB033 is a D385-3C,  it's currently too small for me to wear. I have two spare links, but no pins for them. On removing a pin from the bracelet I found it to be nothing like a cotter pin, nor did it appear to be a "pin and tube".   It was more like a pin with a thicker end that was knurled . 
      I'm looking for resources to purchase a few of these pins,  also links and pins for a JDM  Seiko (a Grey Ghost titanium kinetic) 
      Can anyone point me in the right direction? 
      Trev.