New Eta 2824-2 Rotor Grinding

crezo

Hi all. I just completed my first build using a brand new 2824-2. However after fitting everything I've noticed the rotor is not sounding as smooth as it did out of the box.

It has a very audible grinding noise. It looks fine from what I can see, there doesn't appear to be anything catching on it and the movement tabs and screws are definately not catching on it either.

It seems to be winding and keeping perfect time from wearing it today, so all I can think of is perhaps I accidentally applied too much pressure on it when fitting and damaged the bearing?

Does anyone have any advice of what to look at for a possible issue / fix?

Thanjs for your time.

Do you mean when the case back is on and tight or is it grinding without the back on ? I would try a drop of oil on the bearing as suggested , but if it is grinding on the case back try a thicker case seal or not closing it down so tight

It's with the casebook off. I'll try ailing and if no luck I'll just have to replace it.

Your strap is to small :) That is actually really silly that you can't replace the bearings.

Haha really? I hadn't noticed ;) I've got a guy in Canada making me a new one to fit this, and that 20mm one was the only one I had lying around to test fit to make sure the watch was keeping good time.

Well after fitting a brand new eta rotor and bearing, refitting the old one, making sure I wasn't under or over tightening the screw and comparing both of them it appears to just be rotor noise.

It seems I was maybe just expecting the eta to be a lot quieter than my miyotos as it's an eta. Apparently not as a lot of people have reported rotor noise on these as well.

When I can get my 9015 miyotos running dead on 5 seconds a day, there certainly doesn't seem to be much advantage to the standard grade eta 2824 other than the 'swiss made' cudos. Both running within COSC standard at a considerably different price point.

Ah well, I guess I'll just have to live with it.

Thanks for the help anyway all.

Well after fitting a brand new eta rotor and bearing, refitting the old one, making sure I wasn't under or over tightening the screw and comparing both of them it appears to just be rotor noise.

Yes as I had mentioned above it's unlikely to have a bearing failure on a brand new piece. One more droplet of fine oil is all what you need.