Top 100 battery leaks

Hi @Neverenoughwatches that’s a mess, mind you the juice from the batteries is alkaline and highly corrosive ihave see negative terminals dissolved away, nothing left except a heap of crusty and it burns if left on the skin 

Do you think that it’s the reason many quartz watches use plastic base plates so that the gunge doesn’t eat the watch.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, RichardHarris123 said:

What watch is it from, are replacement movements available? If not a quick dip in IPA and all will be fine.  Hehe. 

I think a bit more than ipa is needed, its swimming in the stuff, so much so that i was starting to think it was water. But no steel corrosion and the fluid has a thickness to it like thin oil. A Jap movement Hattori, 13 quid so i ordered another, the module is completely shafted. Just out of a Kors fashion watch, i dont know how they can charge 200 quid for these things.

17 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

Hi @Neverenoughwatches that’s a mess, mind you the juice from the batteries is alkaline and highly corrosive ihave see negative terminals dissolved away, nothing left except a heap of crusty and it burns if left on the skin 

Do you think that it’s the reason many quartz watches use plastic base plates so that the gunge doesn’t eat the watch.

Hi WW .The base material, wheels and ss cover plates are unaffected even the copper windings look ok on the coils. But the leakage seems to love eating brass and the material the board is made of ? Is soft in places. You have to know when to not even attempt a clean up.

• Like 1

Hi @Neverenoughwatches   They charge £200 because they can and there are enough idiots to pay for a name like Micheal Kors , Calvin Kline, Gucci etc they neither know or understand what’s behind the oversize dial.    The board material is fibre glass and the gunk denatures the resin, it loves brass and can eat lots of it in time. Deffo bin fodder. May be able to salvage some bits though.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mikepilk said:

Best way to deal with battery leaks - is to avoid battery leaks 🤣

Have a read of this : https://www.great-british-watch.co.uk/how-to-spot-and-deal-with-watch-battery-leaks/#

image.png.fbf3671af9db87191f41bf9ee2d6bc65.png

I used to by Renata, thinking they were good quality. Now I always use Energizer.

Pop the crown if the watch is not going to be used for a while.  Ah yes that chart belongs to Energiser's survey team 😄

16 hours ago, mikepilk said:

Best way to deal with battery leaks - is to avoid battery leaks

Indeed! That's why I have been buying Renata (Swiss quality 😱) batteries for all replacements. No more. Next time I'll go for Energizer (with a z).

Thank you!

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, VWatchie said:

Indeed! That's why I have been buying Renata (Swiss quality 😱) batteries for all replacements. No more. Next time I'll go for Energizer (with a z).

Thank you!

Thanks teacher Sir, i will pay more attention to my spelling in future. I am just a thick joiner afterall 🤣

Just now, Neverenoughwatches said:

Thanks teacher Sir, i will pay more attention to my spelling in future. I am just a thick joiner afterall 🤣

Nearly as thick as the guy that wrote the chart. 😅

Hi  guys. I have used Renate batteries for years and only had one failure and that was no leak it just packed up, replaced FOC of course.  I think we must not get **BLEEP** about batteries and surveys because as @Neverenoughwatches said who wrote the chart and who did the survey and who sponsored the survey, probably energiszer .  @VWatchie  if you have used Renata for years and no problem why switch just because some one wants you to buy their higher priced batteries.  Batteries no matter what make even car batteries have a shelf life depending on storage conditions humidity levels, heat cold all will effect the life. Indeed I have purchased the odd car battery in the past that packed in in short order. You buy a battery through many dealers and the price depends on the dealer. The same Exide battery purchased via your local motor trade shop is more than likley tens of pounds cheaper than the main dealer or the AA, RAC, etc. it’s a question of choice, I don’t intend to change just for the hell ofi it. Based on my experience Renata are as good as any on the market regardless of price. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

Hi  guys. I have used Renate batteries for years and only had one failure and that was no leak it just packed up, replaced FOC of course.  I think we must not get **BLEEP** about batteries and surveys because as @Neverenoughwatches said who wrote the chart and who did the survey and who sponsored the survey, probably energiszer .  @VWatchie  if you have used Renata for years and no problem why switch just because some one wants you to buy their higher priced batteries.  Batteries no matter what make even car batteries have a shelf life depending on storage conditions humidity levels, heat cold all will effect the life. Indeed I have purchased the odd car battery in the past that packed in in short order. You buy a battery through many dealers and the price depends on the dealer. The same Exide battery purchased via your local motor trade shop is more than likley tens of pounds cheaper than the main dealer or the AA, RAC, etc. it’s a question of choice, I don’t intend to change just for the hell ofi it. Based on my experience Renata are as good as any on the market regardless of price. 

Battery failure conspiracy WW.   I will do my own survey of East Yorkshire's most skilled and reputable joiner, i wonder who i will pick to be top of the list ? 🤔 hmm now let me think for a moment. 

1 hour ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Nearly as thick as the guy that wrote the chart.

The chart is what I was referring to when Google didn't come up with anything useful for "EnergiSer".

55 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

Based on my experience Renata are as good as any on the market regardless of price.

Great to hear because I already have a bunch of Renata batteries 👍 I'll do some research before I place my next order though. Not that I don't trust you but just to see what I can find.

Edited by VWatchie
  • Like 2

Hi   We all know why they leak and what causes them to leak, therefore we avoid the causes. We keep them in environmentally safe conditions.   I have witnessed a leaky battery that cleaned up ok and still worked but I have also see a watch where I removed the back  an all there was left was a crusty deposit that’s how bad it can get

@RichardHarris123i doubt you will find any meaning full data as each manufacturer will keep his failures out of sight. Most of the batteries are constructed from the same or similar materials and the most common cause of failure is the separating membrane breaking down , gassing causing pressure in the can and breaking the seal, end of story. Whether you would ever ge5 an un biased report is doubtful 

• Like 3

Hi yes moebius as well  hence the crazy prices, got you by the goolies again, it’s a wonder the batteries are not the same as it’s a consumer market where once used throw it  away , but the competition for batteries has a wider market there is no shortage of suppliers.  Watch oil is different in as much they created their own market by reccomending which type of moebius oil to use where and this is slavishly followed by enthusiasts  and professionals so once again a gotcha. The one thing they are clever at is marketing and no matter those not in the know don’t care and will continue to fill their coffers for no other reason for show or elitism you only have to look at the wrist of footballers and show biz stars. All sport high end SWATCH PRODUCTS and Joe Public likes to imitate them. Again hence the trade in replicas / fakes call them wha5 you may. I just had one through my hands a fake Rolex  and lt looked good felt right but the movement was Chinese, and on it goes as long as we have those sheep they will buy anything the media makes a fuss off and in that I include the modern music song industry.  My car radio is now obsolete never turned on.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, watchweasol said:

Hi yes moebius as well  hence the crazy prices, got you by the goolies again, it’s a wonder the batteries are not the same as it’s a consumer market where once used throw it  away , but the competition for batteries has a wider market there is no shortage of suppliers.  Watch oil is different in as much they created their own market by reccomending which type of moebius oil to use where and this is slavishly followed by enthusiasts  and professionals so once again a gotcha. The one thing they are clever at is marketing and no matter those not in the know don’t care and will continue to fill their coffers for no other reason for show or elitism you only have to look at the wrist of footballers and show biz stars. All sport high end SWATCH PRODUCTS and Joe Public likes to imitate them. Again hence the trade in replicas / fakes call them wha5 you may. I just had one through my hands a fake Rolex  and lt looked good felt right but the movement was Chinese, and on it goes as long as we have those sheep they will buy anything the media makes a fuss off and in that I include the modern music song industry.  My car radio is now obsolete never turned on.

We are now in the generation where everything is within the consumer's grasp with the ease of obtaining credit. This young generation wants it all and they want it straight away. My first car in the mid 80s cost me 120 quid that i scrimped and saved for, an old banger that i patched up and learned to repair every other month, every car i bought a Haynes manual for that car followed the very next day. Kids now drive around in brand new cars and have no idea how to change a wheel over. Try telling any of them that they were brainwashed into buying that Rolex Omega Breitling whatever that they sport on their wrist. 

Great story grandpa 😂 

• Haha 1