Wyler pocket watch

About 100 years ago , Mr  Wyler introduced his design, pattenting didn't take long. Adverts claimed it to resist shocks when dropped from a aeroplane, didn't say if the guy who wore it survived or not. lol

Edited by Nucejoe
  • Haha 2

It's awful! I disassembled the movement to clean it, and when reassembling it, I broke the upper pivot of the escape wheel 😭. Impossible to find a spare escape wheel for that movement. I can't even find the reference of the caliber.

Would anyone have an idea ?

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, BlueHarp said:

I know nothing about this watch but I wouldn't be surprised if your only option would be to find a donor. Of course, anything can be manufactured, it's only a matter of time and money 😉

If you can figure out the calibre number you might be able to find another calibre using the same escape wheel. That should make it easier to find a donor.

https://www.emmywatch.com/db/search/?search=wyler&image=&type=movement

• Like 1

On 3/19/2024 at 4:58 PM, BlueHarp said:

It is said that it resisted shcoks when dropped from the Eiffel tower ...

Its a good word that    # resistant #. It implies that it helps the situation and if it doesn't succeed then it did try.  Waterproof now water-resistant ,  shockproof now shock resistant.  If its shock resistant  from a drop of 2 feet then its also shock resistant from a drop 330 metres.  Marketing blag eh 🤷‍♂️

I can't open the links you provided, seems some sort of Microsoft were one has to log-in 😞 I'm using a Mac.

However, I do have a Zeno wrist-watch with a ETA 2783 Wyler modified movement. Servicing was no different than any other watch. But it's a very interesting concept indeed !

PIC_6547.thumb.JPG.41ba40d3fa435700c4917cd497340672.JPG

S20230422_003.jpg.5767fdb9dee5552facac117c56f8cbe8.jpg

Here some info you may find interesting;

https://www.watchonista.com/articles/technology/wyler-and-revolutionary-incaflex-system-part-1

8 hours ago, BlueHarp said:

I can't even find the reference of the caliber.

Pictures are better and long lasting. Links are questionable if they work, now or in the future. Forums a full of broken links.

Edited by Endeavor
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, BlueHarp said:

I can't even find the reference of the caliber.

we work better if we can see pictures of the watch that you're working on.

here is an advertisement from 1950.

image.thumb.png.2bfd3dfaa8926e6bcb69c89d8401b6c0.png

What Mr. Wyler didn‘t know: the real danger is not the Eiffel tower - it‘s the amateur watch repairer 😀.

These balance wheels really look spectacular. But the wheel is stopped in a very harsh manner by its huge lever arm, compared to usual shock protections. And the pivots still get stressed.

But a great watch, no question.

A broken pivot can be replaced. I suppose, it is the upper one, that will be tricky.

Frank

• Like 2

At last resort you may slowly get into specialized jobs, making & inserting a new pivot for it.

Easiest would be to find a scrap donor movement, but even if you manage to find the same movement, the escape-wheel and the pallet-fork may not work optimal together. Of course, pallet-stones can be adjusted, but sometimes, through time, changes are made to the movement without telling anyone.

Are there no markings on the main-plate or underneath the balance wheel?

To have a high probability of finding out what caliber this is, you best to ask (with pictures) in the section "Identify This Movement or Watch". There a some people on this forum who are very good at identifying. They may ask you for pictures of the keyless too.

The more pictures you can provide, the higher the success rate 😉

8 minutes ago, praezis said:

But a great watch, no question

I wanted to write the same, but I didn't wanted to "rub-it-in" 😅

Seems a watch to do some effort for. Another word comes to my mind: "patience" with finding a solution.

Edited by Endeavor

3 hours ago, BlueHarp said:

I'm desperate

desperate might mean that you'd be helpful? It looks like they didn't actually make their watches which means there's a possibility we might find an equivalent.

1 hour ago, Endeavor said:

have a high probability of finding out what caliber this is, you best to ask (with pictures) in the section "Identify This Movement or Watch". There a some people on this forum who are very good at identifying. They may ask you for pictures of the keyless too.

so yes to identify the watch we need another picture from the dial side without the dial so we can see the keyless components. Then we also need to measure the diameter the movement because that helps for identification also.

1 hour ago, praezis said:

What Mr. Wyler didn‘t know: the real danger is not the Eiffel tower - it‘s the amateur watch repairer 😀.Frank

I do agree 😃. I'm really furious with myself for breaking that tiny part. The watch would work otherwise.

I will take a photo of the escape wheel.

4 minutes ago, JohnR725 said:

desperate might mean that you'd be helpful? It looks like they didn't actually make their watches which means there's a possibility we might find an equivalent.

so yes to identify the watch we need another picture from the dial side without the dial so we can see the keyless components. Then we also need to measure the diameter the movement because that helps for identification also.

Ok. I'll do that tonight. Many thanks!

As said, to draw more attention, it may be a good idea to post a second post, specifically for the movement identification, in the "Identify This Movement or Watch" section. No need to mention the problem you are having, that you deal with in this thread 😉

Perhaps as soon as the movement is known, a whole new world opens 🙂

Oh, BTW, JohnR725 asked for the diameter. No markings on the main-plate / underneath the balance? Everything you can find may be a clue ...

Edited by Endeavor

1 hour ago, Endeavor said:

Oh, BTW, JohnR725 asked for the diameter

in watch repair the something called the fingerprint system. It has issues in that we have to have the right reference books and they tend to not go back that far the most common book used is the bestfit book which did come in various additions so if it's a vintage will need an earlier edition.

Is a couple of different ways we can work the problem if we know the brand we can look through the list and providing it's not a big list like we have here we might observe that well there's only one pocket watch.  then one of the columns indicates the page numbers were we could find the fingerprints

image.png.909d32f8b1fc9459d10433ed0ed94d1d.png

this particular case it's page 151 where you see that the left-hand side diameters measured in ligne. If you don't have one of those gauges to do this no problem you just measuring your favorite measurement inches or metric go to the PDF which I've attached and see if it corresponds to anything. Size becomes a much bigger problem if it's a smaller watch because then there's way way more these to look at? In other words if you didn't have a starting point other than the size he would just go through the fingerprints to see if anything matches your watch and if somebody wasn't being helpful that would give us the size and then it gives way more things to look at or maybe not look at at all. So size really is important here as your watch doesn't appear to be on page 151. Which means I need to go look at older book to see if it's there but I'm not wasting my time unless I have a size.

image.thumb.png.9defb68eb256f4adb9a1ae2f9e39b5e0.png

watch-ligne-size-chart.pdf

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Thank you all for your help! I've measured the movement, which is 36mm or 1.42 inches. If I understand well, that means 16 lines. And I've found out that this size does exist ... but I still can't have the specific reference of that movement.

I've posted an indentification request on the other section.

Here are some pictures of the escape wheel

IMG_20240321_185539~2.jpg

IMG_20240321_185621~2.jpg

It seems this is a Wyler 23/12, but I can't find an escape wheel for it 😭 

https://watch-movements-archive.com/watch-movement/wyler-23-12-or-23-12/

Edited by BlueHarp

11 hours ago, BlueHarp said:

but I can't find an escape wheel for it 😭

Well, you identified the movement, that's already step one.

Patience ........ For sure, it's out there, somewhere.

I had movements laying apart for over a year, until I finally found what I needed and/or what I needed against the right price.