Greetings from Gator Country!

Since I don't have enough expensive hobbies (my wife would differ with that assertion, to be sure), let's add a bit of amateur watch repair to the ham radio, photography, lutherie, electronic music, and cycling...   What started it all was fixing the hands that had come off a watch my father in law gave me, and has now morphed into an ever increasing accumulation of tools, questionable watches needing attention, and the occasional success story.  My current quest is to build myself a cleaning machine.  I'm also on the lookout for more and better magnifiers, as my eyesight is nowhere near what it used to be...

Personal details?  Um... born 1964, again 1973, one wife, two daughters, two cats, two houses, too many guitars, not enough synths, and just about enough watches... graduate and employee for over 3 decades at a large, football-obsessed institute of higher education (Go Gators!)...

• Like 1

Hello. Welcome.

I cannot read anything close, it's a blur. However I do use cheap reading glasses of 1.5. 

I purchased a Magnifying Glass Headset LED Light Head Headband Visor Magnifier Loupe With Box from eBay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/355426538456?itmmeta=01HRC6SPZYTK40BF2QGMXKXNDD&hash=item52c11293d8:g:WFUAAOSwuDZlue3v&itmprp=enc%3AAQAIAAAAwBw9gxE1TqEUi2xW5WtjIEKH73en6maNrkyFwEMCTuoJ1jM%2BN5yOgplbmObKWiGwYJAyN7rzVzSrqGQcUxTOLqYbuA28w4bWqV7MR1QZ8zIZVklX%2BD2N6riHiCN3Nik5YNj2fzX1sPWnuiSh46vMz6JBAWTUQtph%2FLkYm6c7ykkhdzuv1F74Tcg0NFK%2Fal%2BN6SjK7hKBc3JEJQxxM9vTjaGkHyuAvYBqYbDzXRgTsoDNaP4ln8L1pRQyaa6y4TxtlA%3D%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR57w5obDYw

I leave my glasses on. I have placed the x2.5 and x3.5 on the eye view. I block off one side and only view through the right eye. Good vision. When I need more amplification I pull down the x8 loupe. Makes the view easy. I do have a cheap microscope with a 7" screen for checking jewels etc. When I use the microscope, I can only get a 1/8 view of the plate, so don't use it much.

I do use the LED. Batteries last about 2 weeks.

IMG_20240214_085611.jpg

31 minutes ago, rossjackson01 said:

Hello. Welcome.

I cannot read anything close, it's a blur. However I do use cheap reading glasses of 1.5. 

I purchased a Magnifying Glass Headset LED Light Head Headband Visor Magnifier Loupe With Box from eBay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/355426538456?itmmeta=01HRC6SPZYTK40BF2QGMXKXNDD&hash=item52c11293d8:g:WFUAAOSwuDZlue3v&itmprp=enc%3AAQAIAAAAwBw9gxE1TqEUi2xW5WtjIEKH73en6maNrkyFwEMCTuoJ1jM%2BN5yOgplbmObKWiGwYJAyN7rzVzSrqGQcUxTOLqYbuA28w4bWqV7MR1QZ8zIZVklX%2BD2N6riHiCN3Nik5YNj2fzX1sPWnuiSh46vMz6JBAWTUQtph%2FLkYm6c7ykkhdzuv1F74Tcg0NFK%2Fal%2BN6SjK7hKBc3JEJQxxM9vTjaGkHyuAvYBqYbDzXRgTsoDNaP4ln8L1pRQyaa6y4TxtlA%3D%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR57w5obDYw

I leave my glasses on. I have placed the x2.5 and x3.5 on the eye view. I block off one side and only view through the right eye. Good vision. When I need more amplification I pull down the x8 loupe. Makes the view easy. I do have a cheap microscope with a 7" screen for checking jewels etc. When I use the microscope, I can only get a 1/8 view of the plate, so don't use it much.

I do use the LED. Batteries last about 2 weeks.

IMG_20240214_085611.jpg

You posted in the wrong subforum.

1 hour ago, Nucejoe said:

You posted in the wrong subforum.

How? It was an answer to MrZ80's comment " My current quest is to build myself a cleaning machine.  I'm also on the lookout for more and better magnifiers, as my eyesight is nowhere near what it used to be...".

4 minutes ago, rossjackson01 said:

How? It was an answer to MrZ80's comment " My current quest is to build myself a cleaning machine.  I'm also on the lookout for more and better magnifiers, as my eyesight is nowhere near what it used to be...".

Ooops, though you was posting your resume in response to the OP' autobiography. 

Hello mrz80, welcome to this friendly forum.

27 minutes ago, Nucejoe said:

Ooops, though you was posting your resume in response to the OP' autobiography. 

Nucejoe. No offence taken. It's nice to know that we have good people watching. It's what makes this such a friendly forum.

Welcome @mrz80 🙂 

I can relate to almost everything you said except the daughters (I have sons), cats (I have two dogs) and I can't quite grasp the concept of "enough watches". But don't worry, we'll cure you of that last one very quickly.

As for eyesight ... I've tried the traditional loupe, both on and off the wire headband and just don't like 'em. They always fog up on me within the first few minutes. I have found the best solution for me is a set of these clipped on to a pair of 2X readers.

image.png.e0611e4ab8989c16d75f04f830d05e09.png

Of course that's just for general work. You will be getting a microscope. Tell the Mrs. it's inevitable so you might as well do it now. 😉

4 hours ago, eccentric59 said:

I can't quite grasp the concept of "enough watches".

👍 Right there with you, never ever  enough  Neverenoughwatches

4 hours ago, eccentric59 said:

They always fog up on me within the first few minutes. 

Even with drilled out sides ?