AWCI Horological Times - All issues I could find

I used to have the physical magazines! Gave them to a student when I moved to Switzerland early 2000s. The 70s and 80s, also 90s, had some amazing long term series articles, stuff you don't find in books.

I don't know I'd awci would be upset you shared this, but I've tried several times to re-up my membership to no avail (which gives access to the old publications), so heck with it. Thank you!

Only up to 2009 though (but the good stuff is older)

• Like 1

Thanks! The back issues are excellent. Archie Perkins wrote a 17 part series called "The staking tool and how to use it" from HT issue 1/84 to 5/85. I am sure there are many other useful series. I wonder how much space is needed for them all!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, nickelsilver said:

Only up to 2009 though (but the good stuff is older)

Ah, I was wondering about that, if there were more recent issues of the magazine. I had a couple of URLs and saw the simple pattern so I just made a nested loop to update the year and month for each download the app did. If anyone has a URL to a later issue than December 2009 please share and I'll see what I can find.

9 hours ago, nickelsilver said:

I don't know I'd awci would be upset you shared this, but I've tried several times to re-up my membership to no avail (which gives access to the old publications), so heck with it. Thank you!

Well, if they don't want them shared which could very well be the case, I'll remove them, or a moderator can remove this thread. So, if you want personal copies should that happen, simply press [Ctrl]+[A] in the OneDrive window to select all 396 issues (make sure to scroll through the entire page first) and then click the "Download" button.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, VWatchie said:

Just made a program to download all issues I could find of the AWCI Horological Times to my OneDrive. I hope I didn't do anything illegal, but I'd be happy to remove the files in case I did. Enjoy!

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AnVrKJ9agkNWkfFk72cqE5ISkNJ78A?e=mYbidJ

...and I downloaded to my computer...lots of reading ahead!!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, VWatchie said:

Just made a program to download all issues I could find of the AWCI Horological Times to my OneDrive. I hope I didn't do anything illegal, but I'd be happy to remove the files in case I did. Enjoy!

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AnVrKJ9agkNWkfFk72cqE5ISkNJ78A?e=mYbidJ

Thats brilliant watchie, i think you'll get the most liked post in history with this one 😅

• Haha 1

On 1/7/2024 at 3:28 AM, JackH said:

Archie Perkins wrote a 17 part series called "The staking tool and how to use it" from HT issue 1/84

Same issue another interesting series started called: Common Sense Escapement Checking

• Like 2

On 1/7/2024 at 12:03 PM, VWatchie said:

Ah, I was wondering about that, if there were more recent issues of the magazine. I had a couple of URLs and saw the simple pattern so I just made a nested loop to update the year and month for each download the app did. If anyone has a URL to a later issue than December 2009 please share and I'll see what I can find.

Well, if they don't want them shared which could very well be the case, I'll remove them, or a moderator can remove this thread. So, if you want personal copies should that happen, simply press [Ctrl]+[A] in the OneDrive window to select all 396 issues (make sure to scroll through the entire page first) and then click the "Download" button.

You're an absolute gem watchie, my favourite person of the month 🙂

• Like 1

On 1/8/2024 at 11:19 PM, oldhippy said:

Just wondering about copyright. I think you should let Mark know. 

I haven't published these magazines on WRT but on my site, so in that sense, Mark has nothing to do with it. In my OP I said I would be happy to remove the files but that was a typo. What I meant was I would be happy to stop the sharing via the published link and if @Mark or a moderator want to remove this thread I wouldn't mind, and it would be the right of WRT, of course!

I'm an IT teacher (ASP .NET Core MVC) and I always tell my students that any page that isn't authorized (requires a login) is up for grabs, so make sure to properly protect anything sensitive. AWCI has not, and I consider it their responsibility.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, VWatchie said:

I haven't published these magazines on WRT but on my site, so in that sense, Mark has nothing to do with it. In my OP I said I would be happy to remove the files but that was a typo. What I meant was I would be happy to stop the sharing via the published link and if @Mark or a moderator want to remove this thread I wouldn't mind, and it would be the right of WRT, of course!

I'm an IT teacher (ASP .NET Core MVC) and I always tell my students that any page that isn't authorized (requires a login) is up for grabs, so make sure to properly protect anything sensitive. AWCI has not, and I consider it their responsibility.

I think magazine articles have basic copyright protection watchie.

• Like 1

An alternate way to get the back issues is to join AWCI  (even for a year).  If you are referred by an existing  AWCI member you both receive a five DVD set of all the HT magazines from 1977 to 2019 free.  Otherwise they sell the boxed set for $349.   I don't need another set, but would be happy to refer anyone that wants to join.    You can find the offer here:   https://www.awci.com/member-center/membership-form/    Besides that benefit, you can also check out books from their pretty extensive library, access technical sheets for watch movements and get significant discounts on their classes, along with the magazine subscription.     Cheers.   

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

I think magazine articles have basic copyright protection watchie.

I haven't researched Copyright in detail so I could be wrong, but as long as you don't profit from or cause financial damage to someone else work I don't think a Copyright can or is intended to prevent anyone from reading and saving pages and documents on the Internet that allow anonymous access, like in the case of the AWCI magazines from 1977 to 2009, and even WRT.

What I have done is provide a link to these PDF documents saved on my private OneDrive for your and my convenience, but using your browser you could download and save the 396 issues one at a time using non-authorized URLs such as https://www.awci.com/wp-content/uploads/ht/1995/1995-09-web.pdf. The only difference is that it would be less convenient and take much longer. As mentioned, I could be wrong about this, but even if not, if asked to I'll stop sharing through the link in the OP and a moderator can hide or remove this thread

It could be that AWCI has decided to rely on presumed Internet illiteracy to protect its work, but that's a very bad idea and a decision we can't be held responsible for. That said, I, like @TimeWerks would very much encourage anyone to join and support AWCI!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, VWatchie said:

I haven't researched Copyright in detail so I could be wrong, but as long as you don't profit from or cause financial damage to someone else work I don't think a Copyright can or is intended to prevent anyone from reading and saving pages and documents on the Internet that allow anonymous access, like in the case of the AWCI magazines from 1977 to 2009, and even WRT.

What I have done is provide a link to these PDF documents saved on my private OneDrive for your and my convenience, but using your browser you could download and save the 396 issues one at a time using non-authorized URLs such as https://www.awci.com/wp-content/uploads/ht/1995/1995-09-web.pdf. The only difference is that it would be less convenient and take much longer. As mentioned, I could be wrong about this, but even if not, if asked to I'll stop sharing through the link in the OP and a moderator can hide or remove this thread

It could be that AWCI has decided to rely on presumed Internet illiteracy to protect its work, but that's a very bad idea and a decision we can't be held responsible for. That said, I, like @TimeWerks would very much encourage anyone to join and support AWCI!

I just thought it worth mentioning to cover your back. Just a quick google now, not sure if this relates only to the UK but literary works can be used 70 years after the death of the creator or 95 years after publishing whichever the sooner they then enter the public domain. I asked about photographing pages from George Daniels big book of watch making at my library a couple of weeks ago, 10 % can be legally copied. Apparently magazine articles without registration have a lower form of copyright. You could look at it two ways 1. Promoting future issues of awci 2. damaging sales of post digital copies if they ever decided to ( like the owers of the bestfit copyright). Very unlikely as you say you will be approached to remove them from your one drive. Still my fav. person this month 🙂, i had them all downloaded and saved to 7 cds within 4 hours of you posting 😄

2 hours ago, VWatchie said:

That said, I, like @TimeWerks would very much encourage anyone to join and support AWCI!

Sound like a good deal tbf. Screenshot_20240112-092733_Drive.thumb.jpg.66cbde385ac1872b3d1d1030bc4199f8.jpgScreenshot_20240112-092759_Chrome.jpg.408f39af8c3c8d4d1c3330a781ff5bf5.jpg

Although on reflection, 🤔 i am a little concerned as to what the two guys in the background on the left are doing. I may not want to attend one of those meetings .Screenshot_20240112-092733_Drive.jpg

Edited by Neverenoughwatches
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Although on reflection, 🤔 i am a little concerned as to what the two guys in the background on the left are doing. I may not want to attend one of those meetings .Screenshot_20240112-092733_Drive.jpg

🤣🤣🤣

On 1/12/2024 at 12:46 AM, VWatchie said:

AWCI has decided to rely on presumed Internet illiteracy to protect its work

I don't think they've decided I think it's a long-term policy on their part. For instance the magazines you have I know of other people who have gathered them up and no hacking was required. In other words they are in plain sight their visible and while there's no sign that says free take them there is nothing to stop you from taking them.

For instance out of curiosity I did a Google search and look what comes up

image.png.ce8c9251a3741717883d8f2427f1c678.png

Now if we click on this what do we find? we find a nice magazine with lots of nice articles. Surprisingly quite a few articles I remember the later years of the magazine there is still good stuff in there but not as much as the older magazines. So simple search magazine comes up I click it and there it is and I can read it it's not like it's a secure protected item. This not like I went to their headquarters smashed the window climbed in and stole that from a library is in plain sight. It's more of a stupidity of security procedures which isn't the first time with them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LittleWatchShop said:

and then there is this

That by the way is a interesting link. But initially when I was reading it I noticed that he had to enter the school property needed a username and a password and he connected directly to their computer system. In other words he did not find these out in the open by googling. Then his computer did interfere with the running of their system.

Then we get much farther down in the article you get the section titled Arrest and prosecution. Then you begin to wonder what the heck is really going on here? The also see the senior prosecuting person is a bit over the in other words overstepping perhaps his reach. But like the video evidence shows he did have to enter onto property interfered with their computer needed a username and password. But still overzealous prosecuting attorney I wonder what he was really after? Possibly some other case said he couldn't prosecute and this was just convenient way to set this person down. Often times when somebody's annoying people they will work out any way possible to fight back and this might've been one of those cases. 

I was thinking of a different example but then I realized I might a shot myself in the foot with this example? Suppose you were walking down the street and you notice a $20 bill or suitable Money in your country? Can you pick it up and keep it? In other words it's laying on the public street you look around and there's nobody around like if you're in the middle of Texas there's nothing from miles no people know nothing is it fair game to pick up and take with you?

Oh and in the case of this particular example whatever you pick up is less than five years old so it's modern and new as old would bring up all sorts of other problems. Now can you keep it? I see examples of armored vehicles that carry money between banks and stores and whatever occasionally somebody forgot to close the back door and as a drive down the street they drop things bags of money coins other stuff and usually they want all of that back. On the other hand usually it breaks open all in one place it's not like a random bill found in the middle of dull place but with they still expect to get that back from you? Did you steal it by picking it up?

It comes back to the Internet problem of if something is visible from the outside and it did not require hacking to get in. Perhaps think about it this way your local movie theater for whatever reason has all the doors open you walking by see the movie and just stand there on the public street watching the movie are you guilty of stealing should they prosecute you? Or more importantly should they run out and sell you popcorn to watch your favorite movie?  On the other hand stuff like this comes up with people typically an YouTube recording stuff and accidentally recording music that ends up in their video then that becomes a copyright violation. Because very hard with the Internet to related to physical world stuff and there so many variations to it.

On 1/6/2024 at 6:15 PM, nickelsilver said:

Out of curiosity what do you mean by you've tried and failed?

41 minutes ago, JohnR725 said:

Often times when somebody's annoying people they will work out any way possible to fight back and this might've been one of those cases.

"Give me the man and I will give you the case against him"

The bottom line (as per the famous phrase above), if somebody wants to throw your @ss in jail, they will find the means to do it.  This, of course, is playing out on the news every day here in the old USA.

We are off topic, but what the heck.

Public universities, are subsidized with taxpayer and student's money.  Research is funded by public money as well as research grants from various entities.  Researchers write papers at the public's expense and those papers are then pay-walled.  That is one example of the grift that Aaron was fighting against.

Yes, he trespassed.  But it seems to me that is only prosecuted when the trespasser is bucking the narrative.  If it is for a "good and noble cause" then justice turns a blind eye.

• Like 1