Install KIF Elastor spring Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First,  DO NOT ATTEMPT INSTALLING WITH CHATON AND END STONE IN  THE HOUSING.

All above must be taken out before you attempt.

Second all you need is to examine the image here,

https://calibercorner.com/kif/

The two short legs just slide in with ease, no need to force/ twist/ bend or anything of the like, JUST SLIDE THE SHORT LEGS IN.

Good you asked, most anyone breaks first asks later.

Edited by Nucejoe
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Nucejoe said:

First,  DO NOT ATTEMPT INSTALLING WITH CHATON AND END STONE IN  THE HOUSING.

Second all you need is to examine the image here,

https://calibercorner.com/kif/

The two short legs just slide in with ease, no need to force/ twist/ bend or anything of the like, JUST SLIDE THE SHORT LEGS IN.

Yes, certainly...cage with chaton is removed.  I will lay the spring flat and scoot it in as I show below.

image.png.9dbb5a3d38d0ceaccd3fb69c98f49ec3.png

8 minutes ago, nickelsilver said:

Hector's got it. There's no trick, just excellent tweezers and care.

Excellent tweezers may be the challenge for me.  I have tons of tweezers including some crappy eyebrow tweezers.  Maybe I need to modify one of my dumont vintage tweezers (eeek!!).  I will ponder.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LittleWatchShop said:

Excellent tweezers may be the challenge for me.  I have tons of tweezers including some crappy eyebrow tweezers.  Maybe I need to modify one of my dumont vintage tweezers (eeek!!).  I will ponder.

No need for tweezers. I would try by holding it down flat with some Rodico on the back of the long legs. That way it's not flying off anywhere. Then push the cross piece with some sharpened pegwood. 

Here is how I installed one of mine. I actually found that I needed to have the jewel in the chaton or else the spring wouldn't stay level and I couldn't get it in. I use the plastic to position it and then an oiler with the force applied the long axis to snap it into place. You can see that when I first tried to apply force with the oiler perpendicular to the direction the spring needed to move, the oiler would flex. Once I came at the spring along the direction of force it snapped right in.

Edited by GuyMontag
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

OK, for some reason that previous post messed up.

I have done it.  I used tweezers AND rodico so that the spring stayed with me.

Not much force was applied to get the spring in.

Now that I am done and have seen Guy's solution, I wish I had waited for his post, because that looks like a brilliant method.

Whew!!  What a pain.

Edited by LittleWatchShop
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

A lot of it depends upon a variety of factors. In other words some may go in without disassembly and others you may have to disassemble. I don't think I've ever have even done a Kif before. I know with  incabloc Some of those it works better if you just push the entire setting out and it goes again effortlessly if you try to get it in with the setting in place it's a problem at so these are just the push the thing out and put it down and put it back together again.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/30/2023 at 6:48 PM, GuyMontag said:

Here is how I installed one of mine. I actually found that I needed to have the jewel in the chaton or else the spring wouldn't stay level and I couldn't get it in. I use the plastic to position it and then an oiler with the force applied the long axis to snap it into place. You can see that when I first tried to apply force with the oiler perpendicular to the direction the spring needed to move, the oiler would flex. Once I came at the spring along the direction of force it snapped right in.

Just wanted to thank you for this post!

I used the plastic sheet approach plenty of times since I saw your video. Primarily for shock springs, but also for the rotor clip on a Rolex 2035. It makes a huge difference. Really a game-changer for these kinds of fiddly tasks. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Knebo said:

Just wanted to thank you for this post!

I used the plastic sheet approach plenty of times since I saw your video. Primarily for shock springs, but also for the rotor clip on a Rolex 2035. It makes a huge difference. Really a game-changer for these kinds of fiddly tasks. 

I'm glad it worked for you too 👍

• Thanks 1