Carriage escapment mecanism problem

23 minutes ago, RichardHarris123 said:

Is it from a clock, since you said carriage?  It's a cylinder escape wheel and the broken part is the pivot. We would need to know the caliber to find a replacement. 

Thanks,  it's from an old carriage clock, but I don't see any number that can identify the caliber. Should I measure it, in mm?

Hi it’s as said by Richard broken pivot, getting a replacement might be difficult as the escape wheels can be of different lengths, the alternatives are re pivoting the one you have or replacing the platform complete which may require you to re drill the plates to accommodate the new one.  Can you supply pictures of the clock and also the platform. Also are the balance pivots ok, if not a whole new ball game.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, watchweasol said:

Hi it’s as said by Richard broken pivot, getting a replacement might be difficult as the escape wheels can be of different lengths, the alternatives are re pivoting the one you have or replacing the platform complete which may require you to re drill the plates to accommodate the new one.  Can you supply pictures of the clock and also the platform. Also are the balance pivots ok, if not a whole new ball game.

Haha, posting at the same time. 

Some images...

20231010_213711.jpg

20231010_213821.jpg

20231010_213914.jpg

20231010_213953.jpg

20231010_213510.jpg

20231010_213444.jpg

20231010_213425.jpg

20231010_213401.jpg

20231010_213339.jpg

20231010_213127.jpg

20231010_214830.jpg

35 minutes ago, RichardHarris123 said:

Post pictures of the movement, someone on here may be able help with identification. 

Done!

38 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

Done!

Edited by AF10

Hi. Judging from the pictures it’s in filthy condition but nothing that can’t be rectified by cleaning etc.  the balance needs checking as the condition of the spring does not look good. These were steel springs and suffered rust spots. If a compatible cylinder platform can’t be found the alternative is a relatively modern lever escapement, they are not a cheap option.   With no markings difficult to date probably late 30s. Early 40s  . No point repivoting if the balance is no good.

• Like 2

You won't find a cal number on those types of clocks with a cylinder escapement. Your best bet is to find a replacement complete platform, you will need the wheel count and the length of the escape wheel, the width and length of the platform. As already been pointed out it is in a terrible condition, having an alarm is a bonus, have you got the dial and what condition is that in? Also the bell which fits under the base. I only see the alarm hand what about the minute and hour hands. How is the case is it complete with the glass panels if not they are very expensive to replace. One last thing the replacement platform look on ebay there are normally quite  few about. Make sure that the cylinder and hairspring are in good condition a worn cylinder and the clock will not work well if at all.  

• Like 3

9 hours ago, oldhippy said:

You won't find a cal number on those types of clocks with a cylinder escapement.

One of the problems in horology is the assumption of a caliber number will allow you to find spare parts. The problem is spare parts only existed if the manufacture had spare parts. Often times the manufacture was not thinking about after sales service.

In the case of a clock with a platform escapement the platform escapement was purchased typically not made by the clock manufacturer. So if the platform escapement maker was thinking about 100 years from now you might need spare parts they would've bundled up spare parts but more than likely they never did. They would prefer to sell you the entire platform.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, oldhippy said:

... have you got the dial and what condition is that in? Also the bell which fits under the base.

Thanks! Yes, I have... and the glass panels. Everything else is working and seems to run smoothly, but before I start the cleaning I need to find a platform that fits.

9 hours ago, AF10 said:

Thanks! Yes, I have... and the glass panels. Everything else is working and seems to run smoothly, but before I start the cleaning I need to find a platform that fits.

If that is so then do as I suggested in my previous reply. Just one more thing about the replacement platform try to get one so the 4 screw holes are more or less in the same place. If not that will be a dead giveaway that it is a replacement and the value will be affected a lot.  

• Like 2