Hello!

Zucco

Hello everyone,  I'm in the process of becoming a new me and learning new skills. After a dreadful 7 months in hospital paralysed from the chest down, I've managed to get myself back on my feet (just) after being told I probably wouldn't walk again. I've always loved electronics engineering and "fixing stuff" and I've always had a real passion for mechanical watches - they fascinate me. When I got home from rehab hospital, I started off cleaning and restoring my own watch bracelets but this has evolved into doing that for all my family and friends' watches including changing batteries and repairing clasps etc. Now after diving in the deep end and taking a mechanical watch apart to "service", I've discovered I have much to learn, so I enrolled on the first 3 levels of Mark's course. Enjoying it so far but I know I'm going to have a million questions so here I am!

• Like 1

I wish you the best of luck. Watchmaking is a game of patience and perseverance, sometimes frustrating, but after what you've been through, no problem at all. You have come to the right place if you need help and advice.

You might find Reuben Schoots' story interesting.

Edited by Klassiker
Added last sentence
  • Like 1

Zucco

Welcome. A fighter you are. This is a great forum. Feel free to ask any question. Like you I began at the very beginning 21 month ago. Not as good as you. I have only worked on mechanical watches. The members here have been so patient with me, offered advice, cajoles, inspiration and most of all, a wealth of experience freely given.

You may have a particular problem due to your condition. 'Ping'. learning to hold a set of tweezers for watchmaking takes time. Honestly. Hold an item too tight. 'Ping', its gone. Entered the space programme. Someone needs to search the floor for hours with a magnet. I overcame a lot of this problem with my box. See photograph.

When removing springs or the like, use pegwood sticks to hold everything , and rodico to secure. I found this out the hard way. I do lose things, but very rarely now.

I wish you well with this hobby. Its brilliant.

Regards

Ross

IMG_20230618_120042 (2).jpg

IMG_20230618_120059 (2).jpg

Edited by rossjackson01
Spelling, Grammar
  • Like 2

Welcome, and congratulations on becoming a new you, it's not everyone who has the courage to reinvent themselves, I don't envy the 7 month ordeal you had, but I am a little envious that you get to reinvent yourself, I guess this is the silver lining on that cloud. Wishing you all the best in your recovery and your journey into watch making. If your journey is anything like mine you will spend the first 3-6 months with frustrating failure after failure, and I was nearly at the point of giving up, but stick with it as your wins slowly start to outnumber your losses, but to be honest there is nothing like the feeling of the first watch you can wear that you serviced/refurbished, if you can beat the odds and get back on your feet, you can master this too.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, rossjackson01 said:

Zucco

Welcome. A fighter you are. This is a great forum. Feel free to ask any question. Like you I began at the very beginning 21 month ago. Not as good as you. I have only worked on mechanical watches. The members here have been so patient with me, offered advice, cajoles, inspiration and most of all, a wealth of experience freely given.

You may have a particular problem due to your condition. 'Ping'. learning to hold a set of tweezers for watchmaking takes time. Honestly. Hold an item too tight. 'Ping', its gone. Entered the space programme. Someone needs to search the floor for hours with a magnet. I overcame a lot of this problem with my box. See photograph.

When removing springs or the like, use pegwood sticks to hold everything , and rodico to secure. I found this out the hard way. I do lose things, but very rarely now.

I wish you well with this hobby. Its brilliant.

Regards

Ross

IMG_20230618_120042 (2).jpg

IMG_20230618_120059 (2).jpg

Thanks for your welcome note. Pinging watch parts is something I've already experienced. I was removing a Seiko Diafix spring but used the wrong method and it too joined the space program! Luckily, using the LED torch on my phone I saw the reflection on the gold spring at the other end of my bench. I'd thought of doing something like your box too but I envisaged something like the "cone of silence" from Get Smart 🙂

Screenshot 2023-07-19 at 18.56.38.png

16 hours ago, Waggy said:

Welcome, and congratulations on becoming a new you, it's not everyone who has the courage to reinvent themselves, I don't envy the 7 month ordeal you had, but I am a little envious that you get to reinvent yourself, I guess this is the silver lining on that cloud. Wishing you all the best in your recovery and your journey into watch making. If your journey is anything like mine you will spend the first 3-6 months with frustrating failure after failure, and I was nearly at the point of giving up, but stick with it as your wins slowly start to outnumber your losses, but to be honest there is nothing like the feeling of the first watch you can wear that you serviced/refurbished, if you can beat the odds and get back on your feet, you can master this too.

Thanks for your kind words.

• Thanks 1