Do people use google before buying on eBay and paying way over the odds?

Just happened to be following some items on eBay and one of them was a used Kafer JKA-Feintaster bench micrometer. 

Final selling price - £590!!

New price from Cousins - £315 + 20% tax. 

Hmmm... they've got 10 in stock. Could be a good little earner 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pardon the tinfoil hat, but one thing I've noticed lately is a lot of items selling way over what they should, then the exact same item being relisted later.

Makes me wonder if people are buying their own items with fake accounts to make eBay searches of completed items come up with higher prices.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ManSkirtBrew said:

Pardon the tinfoil hat, but one thing I've noticed lately is a lot of items selling way over what they should, then the exact same item being relisted later.

Makes me wonder if people are buying their own items with fake accounts to make eBay searches of completed items come up with higher prices.

Never thought of that, but people are certainly paying over the odds these days.

Actually, come to think of it a couple of items I've bid on and didn't win have been re-listed within weeks.

Edited by SpringMangler

3 hours ago, ManSkirtBrew said:

I occasionally see this  with watches and I think it is the seller shill bidding. If a seller doesn't want to use a reserve price (which costs more) they can just have a shill account that will bid up the item to what they consider an acceptable price. If they end up getting stuck winning it, they just cancel and relist.  I've gone back and looked at auctions where this happened and you can see that the person who "won" the auction that was later relisted was either only bidding on items from the same seller or bidding on the sellers items at a very high percentage (75% plus). It used to be that you could see the actual buyers ebay name but ever since ebay started randomizing the names for every auction that isn't possible.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ManSkirtBrew said:

Makes me wonder if people are buying their own items with fake accounts

there's always been stories and rumors of either the purchaser themselves having multiple accounts or friends bidding just above the price up a little bit.

On the other hand I find a lot of sellers on eBay don't seem to care or worry about things so often times a purchase something for a very bargain price because they're just not concerned the bumping up or playing games but I'm sure there are people that do. Just like year rumors of you get something at a good price all this in the sales canceled because it's out of stock or something.

1 hour ago, GuyMontag said:

It used to be that you could see the actual buyers ebay name but ever since ebay started randomizing the names for every auction that isn't possible.

yes I used to like when you knew who was bidding on an item. This is another have fun looking up there buying history to see if there were just a casual person bidding on everything or whether I'd have to bump up I last second bid because this is somebody more serious.

5 hours ago, SpringMangler said:

New price from Cousins - £315 + 20% tax.

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/micrometer-bench-top-kafer-germany?code=M60812

one of the interesting things with purchasing items is especially like eBay is people may not realize there are other sources out there. like typically on this group people buy from cousins. Because of its online presence but there are other online watch material houses. Then there is the physical material houses quite a few of which are not online. Basically for some lucky people on the planet you might have a local material house were could physically walk in. Or some of the material houses will take phone calls or but they're not online. So they can be a lot of sources of stuff out there with more than likely a huge variation in prices.

So basically somebody goes to eBay and may be totally clueless that it could come from somewhere else. Then of course you get the bidding frenzy going and you're the proud owner of something that cost several times what it would cost if you just order it from cousins perhaps

I have thought they list items at 10x the going rate as a Hail Mary sort of thing. Theory: there are some people out there with way too much money, I know this for fact, and they sort by highest price and buy the most expensive. I know somesuch folks, and they say that they do it so they can be sure not only to get a great product, but because they can feel confident that the seller will stand by the product.

Therefore, maybe some of these sellers ftarget that group. They might sell few of whatever it is, but they hardly need to. Maybe that's the reason.

Otherwise, I have thought that perhaps these listings are some sort of messaging. Like, "Meet me at the  _____ when I list a vintyage yo-yo for $1 million bucks" kind of thing. Spies did it through classified ads in the old movies.

I hope we are talking about the same thing, the inflated listings, lol.

• Like 1

I've sold a couple of old classic cameras on eBay over the past two years, a Hasselblad 501 and a Mamiya RZ67, and both ended up going for way more than I expected. However, these items have not been available for years, unlike the Feintaster. 

I'll keep an eye out and see if it re-lists. 

Unfortunately there are people on ebay who make the winning bid and then start haggling. Once some guy won an auction and told me the watch is worth just half the price he bid. There was some engraving in the caseback of which I had told in the description and there was also a very clear picture. He told me he didn't notice it and demanded that I drop the price. I refused and eventually relisted. That same guy won two of my auctions so I was a little pissed. It's crazy that there's no way to sanction such a bidder. Yeah you can report and if there are two reports of a buyer canceling the deal within a year you can ban such people from your auctions. Otherwise ebay doesn't care. I often see items getting relisted so there must be a ton of bidders who weren't happy with the final price.  I'd also like to hide all auctions from India but I guess the counterfeit market makes ebay too much $.

Funny that I should happen upon this topic.  Earlier, I was passing time by poking around on Etsy, and saw the item in  the below-listed image.  The watch for sale is a pocket watch - a Hislon, 17 rubis with incabloc, showing much wear.  And the seller wants $50,000.00 US.  No pictures of the movement.
I am not sure if this constitutes oblivious optimism or blatant swindling, but a Hislon is not on the same level as Ulysse Nardin or Patek Phillipe.  Being still early in the morning, I will have a bit more coffee first, then, under the assumption that it is a misunderstanding, I may write the seller and ask if he is open to a more accurate assessment of the watch's price range.  I will endeavor to be much more gentle than others are likely to be.
image.thumb.png.edcccdb8c1f5e0b28b53bb91934c94ba.png

• Like 2

I have bought a lot of watch stuff on ebay. Some, paid too much, and some good deals, so, on average I have done ok. I have sold some as well...feel like I have given good deals.

Once I got emersed in this watch stuff, I started diligently watching items to get a firm understanding of value. It is a lot of work--a daily chore.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, LittleWatchShop said:

I have bought a lot of watch stuff on ebay. Some, paid too much, and some good deals, so, on average I have done ok. I have sold some as well...feel like I have given good deals.

Once I got emersed in this watch stuff, I started diligently watching items to get a firm understanding of value. It is a lot of work--a daily chore.

Yep, I  watch ebay items I have no interest in buying just to get a sense of what the market is. I usually go over my ebay emails in the morning over coffee, usually takes me a good 30 minutes or so.

• Like 3

I use the following method when bidding on eBay and similar sites.

Firstly, I try to get a general idea of the market value for an item from as many sources as I can, including sometimes asking people here on WRT if it is hard to assess. If it is out of my league, I stay away from it and try to find alternate solutions (where there's a will there's a way).

Secondly, and most importantly, I very sincerely ask myself what I feel the item would be worth to me and then I stick to my guns bidding. If I lose I get to keep my money (win!) and if I get the item it was for a price that was acceptable to me (win!).

Also, if it is convenient enough (I'll be awake when the auction ends) or important enough I always use the sniping technique. The advantage is that competing bidders will then not have time to surpass my bid and neither will I myself. So no risk of me paying more than I decided in advance.

On 7/7/2023 at 2:33 PM, KarlvonKoln said:

And the seller wants $50,000.00 US.  No pictures of the movement.

Don't forget that "This item ships free". That will surely win over a lot of people who would otherwise have hesitated, I'm sure.

• Like 5

I usually look at Cousins and Esslinger first. I look on ebay for price comparisons and other items, mainly used watches. For no longer made items the sky is the limit depending on quality and demand.

I do like giving Esslinger my business for tools. 

Matt

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LittleWatchShop said:

Agree, them or Borel or Ofrei.  Want to keep them profitable so that won't go away!

Indeed. 
Btw, Esslinger has the Joseph Bulova School of Watchmaking textbook back in stock. I had placed an order many months ago and they back ordered with the publisher and fullfilled my order last week. Great customer service. Have had no issues with Jules Borel and Otto Frei either.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I think in rare cases there is money laundering happening as well. The seller claims taxes and it legitimizes the income.

Edited by Razz
Forgot to quote the $50000 pocket watch post.

16 minutes ago, Razz said:

I think in rare cases there is money laundering happening as well. The seller claims taxes and it legitimizes the income.

Hi Razz. So then, the seller is not the item owner, just the tax-paying shlub? Is there even a product? I guess my criminal mind was busted flat in Baton Rouge, I cannot figure out how that scheme would work.

2 hours ago, Galilea said:

Hi Razz. So then, the seller is not the item owner, just the tax-paying shlub? Is there even a product? I guess my criminal mind was busted flat in Baton Rouge, I cannot figure out how that scheme would work.

Dadistic has it right. Straw or actual buyer (maybe in cahoots with the seller) and the watch is about $49,975 over valued. Ebay gets their cut and taxes are paid the dirty money becomes legit with taxes paid.

Edited by Razz

On 7/12/2023 at 8:11 PM, LittleWatchShop said:

Agree, them or Borel or Ofrei.  Want to keep them profitable so that won't go away!

Living in Europe I shopped a spare part from Borel once and it worked really well. However, with the shipping, fees, and taxes it just wasn't feasible in the long run. So, when the UK and thereby Cousins left the EU I was extremely worried as most other material houses in Europe demand that you are a professional business to buy from them. However, a few months after the exit Cousins sorted it out and shopping from them now is painless. They take care of the tax bit and shipping is now basically the same as it was before the exit. I think Borel and Ofrei could have a lot to learn from Cousins in this respect and thereby increase their business. That would be just wonderful for everyone (except for perhaps Cousins 😉)

BTW, anyone who knows how to get an account with German Boley without being a pro?

Edited by VWatchie