Initial learning with or without gloves/finger cots

Soon I will be attempting to reassemble my first watch. Should I use gloves right from the start or is it better to learn un-gloved accepting that the watch will have to be dismantled, cleaned and re-assembled (something that will happen anyway) so that I can learn techniques before trying to do the same thing with gloves/finger cots on which I guess is much harder. This is a big step up from my previous success swapping a movement from one watch to another and getting the hands fitted correctly. The Vostok Amphibia is already disassembled but not cleaned and I intend for it to be a learning tool. 

I watched the Sellita Q&A video recently and noticed that gloves were not used in some stages of assembly.

I personally dislike finger cots. The cuff is so tight that my fingers end up looking like cocktails sausages after a couple of hours. As a dentist, I used to using gloves all day long, so that's my preference.

I also noticed that with experience, it is possible to assemble a watch without leaving behind fingerprints, so it's possible to accomplish certain stages without gloves on.

But as a beginner, I would advice wearing gloves and they must be skin tight latex or nitrile rubber types. Not some baggy, flapping in the wind, food handler polythene bag.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, HectorLooi said:

I also noticed that with experience, it is possible to assemble a watch without leaving behind fingerprints, so it's possible to accomplish certain stages without gloves on.

It probably depends upon a lot of factors like where you learned watch repair.

I was looking for a suitable video and this one is not entirely suitable. The problem is it appears to be the initial people all wearing blue are as a lower level of learning in other words are doing machining work and I don't see anyone wearing any sort a hand protection. Which is even odd for the person doing case polishing because often times you want to wear heavy gloves when you're doing that. For where I work typically anyone doing serious case polishing is always wearing gloves. It's actually about the only time anyone ever wears gloves.

Then towards the end of the video you get to the people in white. Doing watch work and we get a mix of nothing, gloves and things on people's fingers. I supposed to certain degree it's personal preference.

https://youtu.be/yun04kam4U0

If I'm dismantling, just before cleaning, I don't bother as any marks will be removed in cleaning. 

On assembly, I wear them on one hand, so that I can handle larger parts (bridges) without leaving a mark.

I find that cots which fit well, are much too tight at the top. So when I put them on, I cut through the top edge (the roll) with some scissors, which makes them more comfortable, and prevents "sausage finger"   

• Like 1

On 12/12/2022 at 4:28 AM, HectorLooi said:

I personally dislike finger cots. The cuff is so tight that my fingers end up looking like cocktails sausages after a couple of hours. As a dentist, I used to using gloves all day long, so that's my preference.

Me too.  I use nitrile gloves.  My hands sweat, but I do not keep them on continuously.

3 hours ago, mikepilk said:

So when I put them on, I cut through the top edge (the roll) with some scissors, which makes them more comfortable, and prevents "sausage finger"

Hmm...interesting idea.  I will try it.

On 12/12/2022 at 3:25 AM, oldhippy said:

I don't think finger cots were around in my day's

Certainly, my Dad never used them!  I do recall that he had a bar of Lava soap at the shop and I think he washed his hands a lot.

I don't like gloves or finger cots as my skin can't breathe using them which I find extremely uncomfortable. So, when holding a clean part is more or less unavoidable or just too convenient, like when using a jewelling tool, I wear finger cots and then take them off as soon as I'm done. This can sometimes mean I need to take the cots on and off several times which is cumbersome and time-consuming but the extreme discomfort they give me still makes it worth it.