balance shims.

Hey guy

Iis  it possible to buy shims for the balance cock, When i tighten the balance cock down it does not work. If i undo the screw a bit it does work but leaves a gap under the balance cock to the plate. Or is it possible to make them and if so what material should i use to make one.

cheers

gary

9 minutes ago, gary17 said:

Hey guy

Iis  it possible to buy shims for the balance cock, When i tighten the balance cock down it does not work. If i undo the screw a bit it does work but leaves a gap under the balance cock to the plate. Or is it possible to make them and if so what material should i use to make one.

cheers

gary

Gouging or raising a dot on the mainplate, very much frowned upon. I have done it and it worked, but I don't think I will do it again. Watch paper or tin foil. 

Edited by Neverenoughwatches
  • Like 1

On 5/2/2022 at 1:55 PM, gary17 said:

usually best if we determine why the problem exists then we can figure out how to fix the problem?

like for instance was the watch running before servicing and now it's not kind of thing? Or did you start changing components? The most likely scenario for something like this is changing the balance staff. Or even changing the balance complete. a bigger problem with older watches because they're not actually made to exacting specifications. If you watch the vintage videos on making watches you'll see that the watch parts tend to be hand fit even if there were made on the assembly line. So if you start swapping balance components you can end up with issues.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/3/2022 at 2:48 AM, mikepilk said:

just fold it a couple of times as necessary.

Couple of folds !!!          Wouldn't the watch then qualifiiy for Mumbi special Championship.

Though John's advice shows us  the right path, I wonder how  @nickelsilver and @praezis  go about dealing with such a case.  

Thanks in advance.

9 minutes ago, Nucejoe said:

Couple of folds !!!          Wouldn't the watch then qualifiiy for Mumbi special Championship.

Though John's advice shows us  the right path, I wonder how  @nickelsilver and @praezis  go about dealing with such a case.  

Thanks in advance.

I've only used a shim if one was already there, and it's a really low grade piece, and if it works, and the solution would require something extensive like a new staff etc. I don't seek out low grade pieces, but I will work on them, old pin lever pocket watches or whatever, but usually the price occludes them making it to the bench.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've only used it a couple of times on cheap movements where the bottom of the balance cock, or mainplate have been messed up - filed or dimples added. I don't like the dimples as they tend to get flattened each time you refit the cock) so I file them flat - hence the need for a shim.

Assuming that the balance jewels settings are push fit Is it considered bad practice to move the jewel settings a small amount ?   (Making sure that the pallet fork engages the roller correctly and the balance swings freely).