I think jdr is suggesting you buy a book on the subject. He probably meant this one: The Modern Watchmakers Lathe And How To Use It (Archie Perkins). I don't have that one, but I can recommend TheWatchmaker's and Model Engineer's Lathe: A User's Manual (Donald der Carle) or The Watchmaker and his Lathe (Hans Jendritzki).

• Like 1

Thanks Guys, Yeah it was care and maintenance I was interested in, plus any technical info that may be available. The lathe will need some restoration before I use it so looking for information on correct lubricants to use. The lathe cross slide is missing it's tool post so any recommendations on replacements would be appreciated. The headstock is missing two screws which look like they are used for applying oil, and the screws that hold the pulley hub to the headstock spindle could do with replacing.

Thanks for any advice

6 hours ago, Klassiker said:

I think jdr is suggesting you buy a book on the subject. He probably meant this one: The Modern Watchmakers Lathe And How To Use It (Archie Perkins). I don't have that one, but I can recommend TheWatchmaker's and Model Engineer's Lathe: A User's Manual (Donald der Carle) or The Watchmaker and his Lathe (Hans Jendritzki).

I will check out the books you recommend, thank you. 

17 hours ago, nickelsilver said:

I've never seen a manual on a Wolf Jahn lathe in 25 years of looking. I figure they figured you'd know how to use it if you bought it, but that's 60+ years ago.

Do you have any specific questions about it?

Hi, Cleaning and lubricating is the first port of call with the lathe, correct procedure to dismantle was what I was hoping for with a manual. Plus I like manuals 🙂