Library of Horology DVD...any good?

I've said it many times on here I believe in getting your hands dirty. You can only learn so much from a book or DVD but you will not learn many of the problems that you will be confronted by books or other. It is nothing like sitting down with a repair in front of you and you working it out. 

• Like 1

I respect those that still sells physical media, but they meet a small and still shrinking market. All and any the books contained there are old, hence free downloads. They can't include any new one or even 30 years.

I love watchmaking books, even if I haven't even read one tenth of the ones I should have. They make you a better repairer, understand the what and why. Practice does not replace the clear, reasoned approach of a Master, which tells you how to avoid ugly mistakes, and do a better job.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jdm said:

I respect those that still sells physical media, but they meet a small and still shrinking market. All and any the books contained there are old, hence free downloads. They can't include any new one or even 30 years.

Just bought some old Audemars Piguet technical guides from the 70/80s. I doubt I'll ever work on a genuine AP movement but I like to collect the documentation. Happy to upload if anyone is interested? 

• Like 1

We have a saying around these parts: "Mo' data is mo' bettah!"

Physical media is good. A DVD borders on anachronistic though. I'm sure some PCs still come with optical drives, but I'd have to go dig one out of a drawer and hope it still works!

That said, our normally abysmal internet has reached new depths of "you gotta be kidding me" lately (<10k and so unstable, it takes a half dozen attempts to get checksums to add up). A download would be a non-starter for me. This situation is wildly unusual for anyone else though.