1965 Timex Model 40 Electric.

This was part of a small batch of watches I accepted in trade for services rendered, and I wanted to see if it could be made to run again.  It turned out that it had very little amiss.  I needed a new battery; it had a bit of hand-conflict between second and minute at about the 4:00 mark, which would stall it; and it needed a careful strip, and a cleaning of all non-electrical parts (well, I also went over the contacts a bit) since I didn't know what could be safely submerged.  It's back together and keeping pretty good time now.  At first it had gained about a minute by the end of 24 hours, but after fiddling with that strange, tiny regulator I got it to around +/- 10 seconds.  I think it maybe can do a bit better.  I will see how it behaves over the next few days.  I have been going out in the cold with it, and that could be affecting it.  I also have to buff the crystal, but will have to be careful with any polishing on the case; I don't know much about the plating.
Gott in Himmel, these things are unusual and strangely built.  It does have tabs to hold movement-to-dial.  The regulator is small for the balance, and the balance wheel seems huge for a watch this size.  And you need to stick your tweezer points into two little holes and open them to spread a clamp to get the stem out.  A Timex is a different kind of beast, to be sure.  But if they have become collectible and people are going to be bringing them to me, I may as well learn some things.
Below are some pics.  In the first, I am using one of my old testing-straps to wear it, and I noticed that the burgundy color of the strap complemented it well, so for a permanent strap I have ordered one in burgundy patent leather. 

TimexElectric01.jpg

TimexElectric02.jpg

TimexElectric03.jpg

TimexElectric04.jpg

Edited by KarlvonKoln
edited to correct error
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, HectorLooi said:

Nice job. Now go look for the electronic and quartz versions. The mechanical parts are almost identical.

I've been noticing that about these watches.  For some models, it seems the driving features - whether mainspring, hand-wind or automatic, electric coil and contactor, electric with quartz regulator, whatever - often seem to be designed to fit into a common going-train.  I could see where with some kinds of Timex, swapping things around would not be too difficult.  And the familiarity it creates ensures that service is fast and relatively  easy.  I can't deny that's an effective business model.  And I can't deny these watches are rugged as anything.  For what people put them through, I'm amazed how well they keep time sometimes.  I've had to buff out cases and replace crystals, but would notice that everything inside seemed fine.

UPDATE: I was reading up on these, and it seems the +/- 10 seconds rate that I've squeezed out of it is outstanding.  Apparently, the average for a vintage Timex with a bit of use on it is around +/- 30.  So I guess she's giving me all she's got.  Still, I get the impression she does not like the cold, and it has been BITTER cold over here lately, so I will decline to wear her outdoors for a while.

And I found this video, which better explains a lot of what I encountered when I was dismantling.  I had a hunch about how it did what it did, and taking pictures helped quite a bit, but there's nothing like watching one of these in motion to appreciate the utterly simple yet effective way they came with an electric drive.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

The new strap came in.  And to my eye, burgundy was a good color choice.  I intended to put this watch among my "for sale" stock.  But now, I don't know.  I'm on the fence about it.  It's a rather nice looking, endearing vintage piece.  If it doesn't look like it'll fetch much, I may keep it.

IMG_20220202_204518.jpg

11 hours ago, LittleWatchShop said:

Great choice.  The band color complements the gold case nicely.  My problem is that I cannot bear to part with any of the watches I have labored over.  They are my children.

Did you relume the hands?

I chose not to relume.  After a bit of bright sun at my window, they still glowed a bit, and I don't have any lume at present anyway.  They aren't as bright as they were, but they still glow.  Aside from the strap, this watch is entirely original.  And it only needed the briefest adjustment to get it keeping really good time.  So I am leaving much of the "patina" on it, as a testament to its rugged nature.
And I, also, often find it hard to bear, selling any of them off.  That's why I have a number of pocket watches and several wrist watches already.  But I remind myself that I am also taking some of them in for the purpose of making money, so I try very hard not to get too attached to them.  Although sometimes it happens anyway.  I found something endearing about this big, noisy Timex.  I think I may hang on to this one.  

• Like 1