Painting Tips

Have some hands that needs a  be refinished with an nicer looking black stripe in the middle . Have tried to mask it and paint . Didn't look good and wasn't straight  . So do you have any tips to finish this of the strip and making it look like new again . Besides finding new hands .Which would be almost impossible . The watch is an old citizen crystron quartz .

post-644-0-62660400-1431185214_thumb.jpg

Hi Rog!

Just my feverish mind at work here but what about getting a short length of windscreen wiper rubber and using the edge, dipped in black paint, as a sort of tampon?

If the rubber is new and the edge nice and straight, maybe under tension from either end, I reckon you'd get a passable result.

Edited by clockwatcher
  • Like 2

There is a slit on the upper part that is going to be relumed in a white lume . Above that and on the other parts there should be a black straight black line . I tried to tape a line with masking tape .But when i removed it .It was way to uneven in the edge . I don't now where to find it ?But do you think i could use water slide paper ?

That's a really tricky one Roger.

Why not have another go at masking them, but instead of using masking tape try use sellotape as it is thinner and should have a sharper edge than masking tape. Use an acrylic matt black paint and apply the absolute minimum to the hands. Leave overnight to make sure the paint is well set then remove the tape. The thinner the coating, the less likely hood of the paint peeling when you remove the tape.

If you can't get the black line absolutely perfect, you would be better just polishing and re-luming them.

hi roger, bit difficult to see exactly from your pics so i'll have a guess, if the black line is recessed paint it with black paint then rub back with 1200 paper or finer, if not get some decal paper from amazon or the like also get bonding liquid like sol, measure up and you will be able to print it up really easy in any desktop publisher program, this is an easy project any probs get back

hi roger, bit difficult to see exactly from your pics so i'll have a guess, if the black line is recessed paint it with black paint then rub back with 1200 paper or finer, if not get some decal paper from amazon or the like also get bonding liquid like sol, measure up and you will be able to print it up really easy in any desktop publisher program, this is an easy project any probs get back

I will try to take some better pictures in the morning . I have a macro lens but the hand is so small it's hard to come really close . I tried the sellotape but it didn't work so good . The only sellotape i had at home was the one you can see thru . I will order some decal paper from Ebay tomorrow .Good to have anyway . 

Clear tape i mean .Hard to find the right word sometimes when it's not my native language .

Should i order clear decal paper or white ? 

Edited by rogart63

Hi Rog!

Just my feverish mind at work here but what about getting a short length of windscreen wiper rubber and using the edge, dipped in black paint, as a sort of tampon?

If the rubber is new and the edge nice and straight, maybe under tension from either end, I reckon you'd get a passable result.

Missed to read your tips at first  . Nice one shall certainly try that . 

This might work.

When I re-gild the inlays of French clocks before proceeding I always first polish the main case with black shoe polish which is a wax.When applying the gold gild paint to the inlay any over spill just wipes off leaving nice clean lines. My thinking being if the hand is inlayed first remove any old paint then clean the hands with a degreaser including the inlayed area then try polishing the hands without touching the inlayed area with a wax based polish. Apply a black enamel paint with a very fine horsehair brush and any over spill should just wipe off.

Fail :growl:  . Tried to polish the hands with some polish . The brass came trought . It's brass with chrome over not stainless steel . Will try to find some replacement hands or a donor watch . Lesson learn . Never ever think that a citizen quartz has stainless steel hands . 

I sympathise Rogart  I have had lots of disasters over the years I just make sure I learn from them.

The secret with painting whether it is a wall,wood, or metal is preparation. You know when you have prepped correctly when the paint attaches with a single stroke of the brush.
If you know the dimensions of the hands you should have no problem getting new hands to fit.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The way I would go about this sort of thing.

1, Clean out the old.

2, I had an old watch oiler a thick one.

3, Airfix paint.

Turn the  hand upside down fix the hand to a piece of peg wood dip the oiler into paint and work out from the center to tip by means of a spreading motion and leave to dry.

They did but i like it as original as possible .

There's a lot to be said for that. Be it for nostalgia, personal achievement in the restoration process, sharing with a purist, or just personal enjoyment, there can be no greater satisfaction.