Sourcing hairspring

Nucejoe

1 hour ago, praezis said:

I already looked up my inventory, but no CGS 0.76 in stock, just in the neighborhood. And of course no 1k pieces 😞

Frank

Thank you Frank, I am afraid I have been limping along with inadeguate springs on bench for too long , bulk purchase is the sole real option for me.

I could and should have bought enough complete balances when I was collecting Oris calender pointers, before they go extinct. 

7 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

10 Sfr/ piece for Colleted spring. 

Personally even though it may seem expensive remember these are custom made hairsprings. They don't pull blank hairspring stalk off the wall and shove it in the vibrating machine they custom made a spring to your specifications. I was expecting them to cost considerably more.

5 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

I could and should have bought enough complete balances when I was collecting Oris calender pointers, before they go extinct. 

Unfortunately we all should've bought stuff from the past probably not just watch repair stuff

2 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

Personally even though it may seem expensive remember these are custom made hairsprings. They don't pull blank hairspring stalk off the wall and shove it in the vibrating machine they custom made a spring to your specifications. I was expecting them to cost considerably more.

Unfortunately we all should've bought stuff from the past probably not just watch repair stuff

I read Joe's post and barked out,"

What does Nivarox charge for a spring, quantity 1000", to a colleague. He said," I dunno, 30-60 bucks/spring". I think Joe found a thirsty newcomer to the market. In the price range I initially said. Buy them  Joe! Buy them!

I am not saying the quoted price is high for the quality , its what Nickelsilver said would be at the begining . I vouch for Dr Benghalem too doing his best to quote a fair price, but facts are I can get NOS balance completes locally for aprx $7,  only thing is a few come my way once every while, frustrating to wait for parts.

I think the quality Dr Benghalem delivers is good enough to go in two thousand dollar watches and  I shall do with cheaper spring , so I will buy a gorgeous vintage IWC I have had my eyes on with the difference, or marry my third ex_wife,  🤠

Dr Benghalem quoted 7 Sfr a pieces for thousand piece purchase, plus 150 Sfr for shipping and 100 Sfr for trays.

Still pricy !!   where I stand.

Regards 

Joe

• 6 months later...
On 10/1/2021 at 2:34 AM, Nucejoe said:

I need to source aprox 1000 pieces of hairsprings to vibrate with vintage Oris 671Kif  balance and other calibers of this family,  I know hairspring of same strength were used for most vintage in-house Oris movements. but I can't tell what material/alloy Oris 671kif  hairspring is made from. 

Have seen some members here on forum identify alloys as though one is naturally born with such ability to know alloys. not me though, I don't have the slightest idea how you go about identifying alloys , just by looking or what tests to conduct to reach any conclusion.

Britishprecisionsprings.co.UK list hairsprings they have in stock, which typically are made of 

-Berrylium Copper,          

-Phosphore bronze         

-Cadmium Copper

-Stainless steel

-Chronospan.

-Nispan 

-Kutherm.

No Nivarox which I see written on old packages hairsprings came in.

So my questions are

1-What alloy do I need? 😩

2-I hope someone here know of a hairspring producer besides above named one.

Apperciate any help.

Regs

There has been more discussions on the subject.  

I am suppose to post a walkthrough on vibrating inside the watch, which has been pending on finding a compatible hairspring and time. 

Oops I got the whole thread posted, meant to post the link to the thread.  @jdm please correct or delete.