Total Newbie confident but no skills

Hi All 

I have been watching Watch repairs on Youtube for some time and now feel its time to have a go.

I have a 1976 Marlin Timex with a M27 Movement, this is an old Family watch. It has a cracked crystal and has no life coming from the main spring. i have would it up and released the tension with the click but nothing. 

I was hoping to replace the crystal and try cleaning the movement ( with the little you can easily remove, taken off) and then if no joy with he movement replace it with another.

Also I bought a 1940s Wyler very cheap which has a cracked Crystal and a broken Crown stem. I am keen to strip this down and clean then try to rebuild it. 

My main question at the moment is where is the best sites for replacement parts? 

All help welcome 

Thanks 

Richard 

Welcome to watch repair and the forum.

Timexes aren't the best watches to start learning watch repair on. They are highly unconventional and spare parts are hard to find. Many members here would advise you to start with pocket watches and China movements. 

After you become comfortable with conventional watches, then maybe you can try repairing quirky Timexes.

Hello and welcome to the forum As Hector said the timexe's are not the easiest to start on but on the plus side you only need to remove the balance to clean them. I have attached two documents you might like to read before embarking on your venture. Also added is a tool list which may be of some use for you   cheers.

27 (1).pdf 1961_Service_Manual (1).pdf 1831920544_ToolsfortheHobbyist.pdf

• 3 weeks later...