Jump to content

K and D #50 balance staff removal stake punch


Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, MechanicMike said:

Hiya all

Anyone that might own one of these, could you measure and share the dimensions of the encircled area? I have the tool but not the staking punch and I'd like to make myself one. Any help would be appreciated. 

MM

20210120_191317.jpg

Dia=4.7

Dia(s)=1.2

L=4.7

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, MechanicMike said:

Aaaand Poljot for the win! Thanks much buddy! You get extra points??

At the end of the month i will convert your points into Airmiles and will fly... wait a minute.. we are under lockdown / curfew ? .. I will convert them into ca$h!

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Poljot said:

And here is a photo showing the tip. That small opening is about 0.3mm dia and very shallow - just so the Staff Pivot fits in loosely.

IMG_3299 - Copy.JPG

IMG_3297 - Copy.JPG

Thanks very much that is a critical measurement and pics are bonus. Very important. Noted. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A minor wrinkle in this discussion? For which I won't have an answer until I go to work tomorrow perhaps. Do you know this tool comes in two different sizes sort of? It actually comes in more sizes it comes in various heights for the various staking sets. Then the hole diameter that the punch goes into comes in two different sizes. One for smaller watches and a bigger one for pocket watches. Problem is I can't remember if the punch is different sizes or whether they just have one of those?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, MechanicMike said:

Hiya all

Anyone that might own one of these, could you measure and share the dimensions of the encircled area? I have the tool but not the staking punch and I'd like to make myself one. Any help would be appreciated. 

MM

20210120_191317.jpg

I am cutting this for a chap in the US and the ones I have have a hole deep enough to accept the pivot; and two different size holes as well for 18s and 16/12S movement staffs.

1464F542-DE4F-4B65-BBE7-CFBEF7447D25.jpeg

1E72F6DE-B93B-4E8E-B5F5-591EA28440F1.jpeg

23667D40-4E32-47C8-96E7-4AEB87C5C642.jpeg

94ED5B2A-A25D-417A-BB6D-5B462B34DF1E.jpeg

7500D3DB-6DE4-4DEB-909F-B35EB1514BCE.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JohnR725 said:

A minor wrinkle in this discussion? For which I won't have an answer until I go to work tomorrow perhaps. Do you know this tool comes in two different sizes sort of? It actually comes in more sizes it comes in various heights for the various staking sets. Then the hole diameter that the punch goes into comes in two different sizes. One for smaller watches and a bigger one for pocket watches. Problem is I can't remember if the punch is different sizes or whether they just have one of those?

Yes. 50 and 50B. But I'm finding out that there might be the possibility of 2 different tips to each tool. These are the stakes I was going to turn down.

 

16112340957516517517801805596416.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, jdrichard said:

I am cutting this for a chap in the US and the ones I have have a hole deep enough to accept the pivot; and two different size holes as well for 18s and 16/12S movement staffs.

1464F542-DE4F-4B65-BBE7-CFBEF7447D25.jpeg

1E72F6DE-B93B-4E8E-B5F5-591EA28440F1.jpeg

23667D40-4E32-47C8-96E7-4AEB87C5C642.jpeg

94ED5B2A-A25D-417A-BB6D-5B462B34DF1E.jpeg

7500D3DB-6DE4-4DEB-909F-B35EB1514BCE.jpeg

Were you able to turn them down in a lathe or grind them because of material hardness?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, jdrichard said:

Will let you know Friday:)  I am hoping so...else I will need to anneal them first

I did a quick file check on my spares. Don't know about your stakes but mine are soft, so I'll be able to machine em in the lathe no problem. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, MechanicMike said:

I did a quick file check on my spares. Don't know about your stakes but mine are soft, so I'll be able to machine em in the lathe no problem. 

Punches should be hardened at the end that does the work, and soft at the hammer end. I just checked my K&D staff removing punches and they are dead soft on the hammer end, and a little harder at the business end. I was actually surprised it wasn't harder, but they are definitely heat treated. They also measure 4.69mm, which is normal punch diameter (nominal 4.7). The K&D punches should turn fine. My Star punches and anvils have to be annealed to turn them.

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, nickelsilver said:

Punches should be hardened at the end that does the work, and soft at the hammer end. I just checked my K&D staff removing punches and they are dead soft on the hammer end, and a little harder at the business end. I was actually surprised it wasn't harder, but they are definitely heat treated. They also measure 4.69mm, which is normal punch diameter (nominal 4.7). The K&D punches should turn fine. My Star punches and anvils have to be annealed to turn them.

 

 

Carbide will take care of them.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 months later...

I would like to thank @Poljot and @jdrichard for the measurements, pics, and info.  I recently picked up a K&D No. 50 that was complete and in great shape *except* for the stake.  I remembered I had a couple old chipped stakes socked away, so I decided to turn one down a bit on my lathe, and replicate the tip as depicted.  With your help I was able to create an accurate facsimile.  Thanks again, fellows!  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, KarlvonKoln said:

I would like to thank @Poljot and @jdrichard for the measurements, pics, and info.  I recently picked up a K&D No. 50 that was complete and in great shape *except* for the stake.  I remembered I had a couple old chipped stakes socked away, so I decided to turn one down a bit on my lathe, and replicate the tip as depicted.  With your help I was able to create an accurate facsimile.  Thanks again, fellows!  

https://www.daveswatchparts.com/

This is on my list of tool sites I peruse and I see hes got one stake left.  Last week he had 3. Sometimes you can make a really good find at Dave's. Got a pic of your stake? Did you make the 50(1.3mm)? Always up for pics of homemade tooling and the lathe you used. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/31/2021 at 10:43 PM, MechanicMike said:

 Got a pic of your stake? Did you make the 50(1.3mm)? Always up for pics of homemade tooling and the lathe you used. 

I just turned down an old, chipped K&D stake.  I used my digital calipers, and I only have a little hobby lathe, and I had to use a needle file and went slow, stopping to measure rather often.  I used the specs posted above.  I tried the stake out on a junk pocket watch balance (New York Standard,  6s) and it worked just fine.  I like it.

20210602_073507.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



  • Recently Browsing

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

  • Posts

    • It sounds as though you are happy with this situation and have no ill feelings towards Swiss manufacturers whatsoever.  😄
    • Hey everyone I enjoy tinkering and used to get my fix by making knives, but with a baby (now toddler) that hobby has been put on pause.  My co-workers dad used to be a watchmaker but had to stop due to arthritis. I was lucky enough for him to give me some basic supplies to get started along with some busted movements and books. After destroying one movement I signed up for Mark's online course and have made my way through half of it while working on a couple of my own movements. Eventually I'd like to get to the point where I can buy vintage pieces and restore a handful a year. There is surprisingly little information on watchmaking and this forum has already been a great help. Cheers! Adam  
    • Any chance you can take some pictures and give a quick review of the tool? I suspect many of us will be quite interested in this tool.   I agree that some of the Swiss-branded tools are at least made in part in China, but touched-up/finished marginally in Switzerland. On the other hand, some of the Chinese tools are really a direct clone of the tool, which wouldn’t be so vexing if they actually worked as advertised: I bought some pallet forks for 2824-2 from china which were advertised to be compatible with ETA 2824-2 but couldn’t fit in the jewels. I have had better experience with Chinese tools that have their their own branding (such as Weishi), but even then, there are sometimes multiple listings on AliExpress of seemingly identical items with different Chinese brands. I would think that if one was a Chinese-speaking watch enthusiast in China, it would be easier to locate reliable Chinese tool manufacturers (as @HectorLooi previously mentioned) but for us, we have to rely on actual reviews from people who own the item!
    • Wow a thousand pound watch and the stem removal is booby traped by poor design 😎
    • I have just taken delivery of one of these myself.  After the nightmare I had with a Tag Heuer where the seconds hand popped off its tube when I used hand leavers like I always did with all the other watches I have stripped down, one set of Tag hands cost me £120, so the price paid for the hand lift tool £145 is not so bad if it saves me from that nightmare situation again. They are well made and a quality product, just got to wait for the next Tag to land on my desk to try it out in anger. Also remember not all these Chinese tools are clones or copies, some of them are the same tools some of the Swiss makers claim to make, they have their tools made in China and just package them in made in Switzerland boxes. I have some that are so identical the parts are fully interchangable with the Swiss version and all the machining marks are identical, showing they are off the same production line, and just sent to a different logo printer. The Swiss watch industry is a very shady industry, from watch makers only being bracelet makers who use a generic movement from a movement maker to the likes of Rolex who although they are a multi million company don't pay any tax because they are set up as a charitable organisation but only fund themselves, to their tool makers who have their tools made in China but claim they are made in Switzerland and charge over inflated prices for the same tool that can sometimes be bought direct from China at a fraction of the price the Swiss charge.
×
×
  • Create New...