Watch Hand Metal?

dpn

So, I'm looking for an inexpensive supply of steel hands to practice heat bluing with.

Looking at esslinger.com, there are lots of "silver" hands available for a reasonable price. E.g.: 114 Piece White Multi-Style Watch Hands, White Dauphine Style Hour and Minute Hands, etc.

There are also, of course, a myriad of cheap silver Chinese hands available on eBay.

Does anyone know what metal inexpensive "silver" hands are typically made out of? I'm very, very new to this, and honestly don't know whether hands are typically steel, anodized aluminum, or whatever ...

Thanks in advance for any tips and advice!

2 hours ago, dpn said:

So, I'm looking for an inexpensive supply of steel hands to practice heat bluing with.

Looking at esslinger.com, there are lots of "silver" hands available for a reasonable price. E.g.: 114 Piece White Multi-Style Watch Hands, White Dauphine Style Hour and Minute Hands, etc.

There are also, of course, a myriad of cheap silver Chinese hands available on eBay.

Does anyone know what metal inexpensive "silver" hands are typically made out of? I'm very, very new to this, and honestly don't know whether hands are typically steel, anodized aluminum, or whatever ...

Thanks in advance for any tips and advice!

Steel is what you want. Preferably stainless. Get a magnet- good quality 304, 306, 316 stainless alloy will be non magnetic. Try ofrei and kas-ker. otherwise vintage NOS is always good but like we talked about-can get spendy. 

Otherwise some can be cheap tin or aluminium. Even plastic. 

• Like 1

Stainless steel won't blue; I don't know of any watch hands being made of it either.

If the supplier doesn't state or know the material check them with a magnet. Hands can be almost any material from gold to plastic but brass and steel are the most common.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nickelsilver said:

Stainless steel won't blue; I don't know of any watch hands being made of it either.

If the supplier doesn't state or know the material check them with a magnet. Hands can be almost any material from gold to plastic but brass and steel are the most common.

Yeah, they're out there. All modern day stuff. Micro brands.   Depending what grade and carbon content they contain  they will turn color tho. Manufcrs. don't list the grades tho lol. Just keep my trusty magnet handy. melted a plastic set once..

I've got my propane torch, my IR thermometer, my brass scarf, my brass heating box, and my polishing stuff all either here or on the way. 

I honestly didn't think that finding steel hands was going to be the hard part! *grin*

I can practice a lot with screws and old blued hands, but if I want to actually make usable hands I'm going to need to figure out a supplier.

Interestingly, Esslinger has been super quick to reply to my parts inquiries. My inquiry about what makes up their "silver" hands has been met with silence, so I agree they're likely to be some kind of mystery anodized or coated base metal.

This has been, and will continue to be, a fascinating exercise. I'm going to be cross-posting on the NAWCC forums, since there's a lot of good heat-bluing info there. Maybe someone will have a good supplier they'll be willing to share.

The better the quality of the steel and with practice the better the bluing will be, you should have an even blue colour all the same. I always quenched clock hands and screws in oil, it would give a shine look and not a dull finish.  

8 hours ago, dpn said:

I've got my propane torch, my IR thermometer, my brass scarf, my brass heating box, and my polishing stuff all either here or on the way. 

I honestly didn't think that finding steel hands was going to be the hard part! *grin*

I can practice a lot with screws and old blued hands, but if I want to actually make usable hands I'm going to need to figure out a supplier.

Interestingly, Esslinger has been super quick to reply to my parts inquiries. My inquiry about what makes up their "silver" hands has been met with silence, so I agree they're likely to be some kind of mystery anodized or coated base metal.

This has been, and will continue to be, a fascinating exercise. I'm going to be cross-posting on the NAWCC forums, since there's a lot of good heat-bluing info there. Maybe someone will have a good supplier they'll be willing to share.

Where did you find the swarf and heat tray?

7 hours ago, oldhippy said:

same. I always quenched clock hands and screws in oil, it would give a shine look and not a dull finish.  

Do you every get the black tar-like crud on them when you do this? Ever had and luck with just air cool down?

If its screws after they have be cleaned and polished, I would put them in an old watch cleaning machine to make sure all dirt got completely removed, crud can be caused by bluing something that still has dirt or grease on it. Hands would be washed in soft soap and warm water and dried in a lint free cloth before bluing.