How To Safely Remove Lume From Watch Hands.

I saw this technique on you tube a while ago and decided to give it a try today. Old lume is certainly something you do not want to be breathing in, so the safest way is to remove it under water. All you require is an ultrasonic cleaner, a piece of pith wood and a couple of matchsticks.

Trim the matchsticks to fit the hole in the hand and delicately press them into the centre of the hands. I find the best way is to lay the hands on the pith wood face up and then press the matchsticks into the hands. Once you have done that, press the matchsticks into the pith wood as in the pictures below.

image.jpg1_10.jpg

image.jpg1_11.jpg

Now take the pith wood complete with hands and float in the top of the water in the ultrasonic tank. The lume on the hands will be facing downwards as in the following pictures.

image.jpg1_13.jpg

image.jpg1_12.jpg

Give the hands a blast for three minutes in the tank, and all the lume will be safely removed leaving spotlessly clean hands ready for the new lume. See below.

image.jpg1_14.jpg

:)

• Like 5

Good point Mark I should have added that, unless you want to remove the paint. ;)

One other thing, if you leave the hands mounted on the pith and secure the pith to the bench with Rodico, it keeps the hands very stable for applying the new lume. :)

Excellent mini how to Geo, I'll use it next time...even with some of the painted hand ones, I have Testors paint so that simplify retouching them...more like a re paint job! Will come out very neat! Can't wait to start!.

Another way to remove the old luminova that works most of the times, is to place the hands in a tiny container with acetone for ten  minutes or so.

Before doing that, just get yourself certain that the hand are not painted since acetone is so powerful in removing paint!

Another way to remove the old luminova that works most of the times, is to place the hands in a tiny container with acetone for ten minutes or so.

Before doing that, just get yourself certain that the hand are not painted since acetone is so powerful in removing paint!

Exactly what i did for my little resto project Seiko 6309-523a. Smells nice too [emoji12]

2015-01-26%2014.33.55.png

Edited by ro63rto

• 1 year later...