Ruined 2836-2 Movement S

mlfloyd1

With the parts I've been ordering I might as well have bought a complete movement.

I know this hasn't occurred with you but I'm out of two balance assemblies, a fourth gear, a train bridge, and two balance capstones.

All of this which began with a broken main spring and and installing a train gear in backwards, and multiple attempts in putting the balance wheel in place.

I'm embarrassed saying this, but I know I'm among understanding colleagues.

Have any of experienced this in your time learning watch repair?

Hi mfloyd1,

I never make mistakes  ;) and haven't experienced exactly what you are describing, but have had my share of mishaps.  I did lose a cap jewel this past weekend. Somehow, between removing it from the plastic storage tray, slipping it into the mesh container and placing it into the ultrasonic, it disappeared.  I am pretty sure a chemical reaction occurred which caused the jewel to morph into a possessed particle capable of integrating itself into the concrete floor rather nicely.  Of course, I am not an expert, so this is purely speculation.

Seriously though, when things go bad, and they will (I won't mention the pallet fork that ended up in my underwear here), I have learned it's best to just laugh it off and learn from the experience.  You will most likely find that you won't make the same mistake twice.  The alternative is to get frustrated and allow that vein in your forehead to protrude, coupled with gnashing of teeth.  Not my idea of fun.  This is a hobby for me and I want to enjoy the journey.

I hope this helps!

Roger

• Like 1

I will admit a lot has to do with impatience, and not heeding the thought in the back of my mind to move closer to the edge of the table, or move the small pieces away from my elbow, or not to hold the piece up from the surface when it's being worked on because something will fall out and it almost always does.

Mlfloyd1, there is one important thing to remember "The man that never made a mistake, never made anything"! ;)

Don't be too disheartened, horology can be a very frustrating game at times, especially when you are learning. Walk away when things are giving a lot of trouble, have a break and regroup before continuing. Controlling your mind is every bit as important as controlling your hands. Percivere and eventually it will all come together, both the understanding and the dexterity required for the work. :)

Edited by Geo
  • Like 1

With the parts I've been ordering I might as well have bought a complete movement.

I know this hasn't occurred with you but I'm out of two balance assemblies, a fourth gear, a train bridge, and two balance capstones.

All of this which began with a broken main spring and and installing a train gear in backwards, and multiple attempts in putting the balance wheel in place.

I'm embarrassed saying this, but I know I'm among understanding colleagues.

Have any of experienced this in your time learning watch repair?

I lost count of the movements that I killed at the start of my "insanity", but you just  have to persevere. All of my victims ended up as the genesis of my spares stock and have donated parts on numerous occasions, so they didn't all die in vain.

Geo is absolutely right when he refers to the importance of state of mind. If your head is not in the right place then nothing else will be, and for me, getting my head right before I start on a job turns it into a form of relaxation, not frustration.

Geo's advice to "walk away" and "regroup" when things go bad is crucial. Trying to bully either the work piece or yourself into doing the right thing always ends in disaster.

I once spent about half an hour on a driving range. Possibly the most embarrassing 30 mins of my life. Never had anything to do with golf again.

I know the sounds silly but I found what helps me is the radio or iplayer in the background.

Them golden oldies just keep me calm & on a Saturday "talk sport" although only if the scores are going in the right direction.

Edited by clockboy

So you lost a jewel. Huh - that's easy - I can do that any time.

A few days ago I was inspecting a movement when the loupe fell from my eye. It dropped to the carpet and rolled ... to infinity and beyond. How can you lose a **BLEEP** great thing like a loupe?

Found it, after much swearing and scrabbling on my knees, in the furthermost recesses of the universe - in a crevice behind a table leg.

• Like 1

It's a natural part of the process or it was for me , in the beginning I broke more than I fixed , but you learn from it and the chances are you won't make the same mistake twice Hopefully lol

or you willl.. but thats just the way it seems, i can put aside a whole day for watch tinkering and do more damage than good.. just makes the wins more monumental!

Watch repairing is not easy and the skills have to be learnt,  I think it comes easier to some than others.  I would say watch Mark's videos as they cover everything and start again with a scrap or low value watch and disassemble it and rebuild it several times.  You should now be able to strip a running watch and it should still run when rebuilt.  Lots of practice and then some more practice is one of the keys.

Its all part of the "hobby" and hobbys cost money which means your always going to make mistakes!!..My loupe dropped out once and squashed the hairspring...how i wished it had hit the floor!!

Edited by ash145

Hi milfloyd1,

Oh boy, you lost a jewel! Unforgivable!...OK, I've lost several screws from my head but that don't count. I'm still ticking! :D

Welcome to the club of the learning people, those who learn from their mistakes so will never forget again! You are on the road to be a great watchmaker either hobbyist or pro! I'm proud to have made many before (same and worst), still making them and counting on many more in the future! Oh, the great, infinite learning curve!

Cheers,

Bob

Found a lost cap jewel with 'gaffa' tape (duct tape) which is very very sticky!  Once area has been 'wiped' inspect tape with loupe.  Found mine but didn't recognise it at first as had similar colour bits on the tape, only after a 'last chance' relook at the tape did I see it, how happy was I !!!!

• Like 1

Count me in guys!!!

I started with horology three years ago and till now I have managed to vanish (like Merlin) several things:

Two cap jewels

some spirngs (click or keyless works)

some screws!!!

By far the most frustrating part was, when I destroyed a couple (or should I say a quad) of ratchet wheel screws!!!

Yes it was supposed to be classic right thread screws, unfortunately I discovered the opposite!

Every passing day on the bench, will make you better on everything!!!

Edited by vaguras

I'm on my fifth watch. FINALLY, I was able to get an old Bulova (will post photos later)I bought for 2.00 on ebay back together and it worked all week kept great time! I am having an issue with the keyless works but it is working! YEAH!

I did somewhat injure five along the way and I didn't bother with replacing parts. It takes time and it will come so keep working at it and learn to breath and exhale!

G

• Like 1

Great Gary! For the keyless works, I find it's handy to snap a quick close up photo on the didg camera before complete dismantle. It shows where all the fiddly levers and springs go back in relation. No pro photography, just a shot than can be deleted when done.

Also, as to lost parts. I use a handy 3 inch diameter magnet attached to a 36 inch handle to run over the floor and into corners. Surprising what it finds. These are made here and we use them to pick up screws and nails in the dirt on construction sites. Saves our tire repairs. :)