cannot wind pocket watch

Lucas

Got this pocket watch as a gift but a couple weeks ago the winding mechanism stopped working

I can set the time and wind it backwards but it wont wind right to start the watch and when I try it provides too much resistance to even try to force it

Help would be appreciated 

Thanks

Hi  are we looking at th same watch ?  first has a train on it second looks like a chinese sketeton movement, third and fourth have a polished chrome back with the work black on.

In any case the back should be a snap on fit removable with a knife in the join and twist. The fact it looks like a chinese sketeton movement would say its modern and without looking in the back of the watch it is difficult to deduce the problem.  I have had these where the keyless work is roughly made and have had similar problems

6 hours ago, Lucas said:

Got this pocket watch as a gift but a couple weeks ago

As the watch is brand-new and it was recently received, return it to the giver and see if they can get it exchanged or repaired under warranty.

3 hours ago, jdm said:

Chinese pocket watch costing less than €5, unfortunately quality is "not the best". Can be taken apart to learn and then used for decorative purposes. 

As the watch was a gift I was trying to avoid the references to price. But as a gift it's the thought that counts. Then whoever gave the watch did not pay this it usually gets marked up higher in this country.

Then the phrase can be taken apart isn't always entirely correct. I don't pay attention to what we sell but I think we were selling these at work and one required looking at and getting the back off was almost impossible. Then service it was equally almost impossible because the watch was not meant to be serviced. Then happily I returned the watch and its back off to the front room and let them deal with how they were going to put it back on again or not.