Mrfixit

Rotary randomly stops, restart hands set

Question

Hello people, I have aquired a 1970 Rotary ladies watch 17 jewel : can run all day or just 20 mins without stopping. Setting the hands restarts. My skill is limited to working on an fhf70 so due to the tiny movement want to approach the likely causes first without wheels out. I am thinking towards the motion side putting resistence on the train ? Thoughts please to point me in the right direction.

Regards all.

10 answers to this question

It sounds to me like dirt. Just a tiny foreign object will cause this. The best way is to clean the movement, that means taking the whole thing apart. You could try this if you like, that would be let the mainspring down. Remove the complete balance and pallets and then add a little power this just might spin out the foreign object. Before you attempt this just make sure all pivots are oiled, you don't want the wheels spinning in a dry hole, it could shear a pivot off.   

36 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

It sounds to me like dirt. Just a tiny foreign object will cause this. The best way is to clean the movement, that means taking the whole thing apart. You could try this if you like, that would be let the mainspring down. Remove the complete balance and pallets and then add a little power this just might spin out the foreign object. Before you attempt this just make sure all pivots are oiled, you don't want the wheels spinning in a dry hole, it could shear a pivot off.   

Excellent, thank you for the advice. Although I've worked on the train on other movements hesitant here due to size and lining up pinions. Will try your suggestion with the balance.

Thank you.

Hi   Once again Old Hippy is on the ball as my own diagnosis would be exactly as quoted follow that and all will be well, Small movements are delicate and therefore take your time. The smallest I worked on was a ball watch the size of a marble with a broken staff, replaced with a Balance comp, cleaning and reassembling took a while . Take your time and enjoy.

7 minutes ago, Ajohnw said:

I was just curious about faults so googled the movement and found this

https://wahawatches.com/restoration-zentra-watch-with-fhf70-movement/

15 jewels though

John

-

Thanks John. I referred to the FHF70 as the only movement I had fully stripped, whereas this is a rotary movement I believe based on ETA 2412. Good article on the FHF70.

Regards

Chris

Update - resolved.

After taking OldHippy's advice and removing the balance and pallet fork gave it a few turns - gears spun up but were reluctant to restart without encouragement. On closer inspection, there was a tiny strand of fabric wrapped around the escape wheel centre shaft. You can only imagine me elation when I grabbed the strand with tweezers and the gears spun into life.

One happy chap.

Older ladies watches are not the easiest to work on. I don't like to work on them and when I do its usually a favor for someones heirloom.

The pivots are really fine and the mainsprings are really weak (by design) so if the mainspring gets 'set' and doesn't provide much power the watch wont run well.

My action plan is usually remove power from the spring and remove/check/clean mainspring and the barrel. Next remove/check/clean the balance jewels (Assuming Incabloc or similar) and just dunk the whole thing in the cleaning solution. Dry off properly and use a puffer to get any bits off. You might need to remove some of the keyless parts to access the jewels for oiling. put it together. If it works then good. If it doesn't then that's it.. too bad.

If there is any trace of moisture don't even bother. Even a smidgen of rust on the pivots is enough to make it run poorly. And most ladies watches of the 50-60s had abysmal water protection.

Anilv

13 hours ago, Mrfixit said:

Update - resolved.

After taking OldHippy's advice and removing the balance and pallet fork gave it a few turns - gears spun up but were reluctant to restart without encouragement. On closer inspection, there was a tiny strand of fabric wrapped around the escape wheel centre shaft. You can only imagine me elation when I grabbed the strand with tweezers and the gears spun into life.

One happy chap.

Foreign object found and removed. :Bravo:

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Vladimir
      Hi Guys, 
      Hope this finds all well, i have started disassembling a rotary watch with a skeleton movement and a tiny part fell out of the movement which i was not in time to take a picture. If anyone has ever worked on similar movement and know where it belongs i will appreciate your help.
      Pictures attached.
      Thank you in advance. 
      Vladimir.

• By Swissmade
      Hi,
      I am trying to remove a mechanism from a Rotary Kensington GS02490/06, it's a front loader, any suggestion?
      The front,hands and stem are removed.

• By henryr
      Hi all,
      I have a Bulova sine plate with integral rotary table. It doesn't have any locking features for the plate so I don't think it was used for machining. The rotary can be locked and it does accept a dovetail block that can be clamped in place. Has anyone seen another, know what they were used for or when it might have been made?

Thanks,
      henryr

• By PaulG
      Hi all, 
      First time ever trying to fix a watch. It's a Rotary Editions 500series. Opened it up and the part in the pic was swimming about loose only issue is I have no idea where it goes. 
      Any help would be greatly appreciated. 
      Thanks 
      Paul G

• By chez138
      Hi.
      I have recently bought a 'non working' rotary automatic skeleton watch. I love the watch to bits however...
      The watch will only work when fully wound and as it unwinds (with little wearing) it stops. it appears as though the minute hand is ever so slightly fouling on the hour hand. when full wound there appears to be enough power to override this. I'm hoping I can just tweak the hand very slightly to clear it. it visually appears slightly bent up.
      Ive had the watch open fairly easily however I cant for the life of me find how to remove the stem/crown. ive searched high and low online and am now fairly familiar with the process on many watches except this one.
      Any pointers would be much appreciated and well done on great forum.
      Thanks