Ah, understood. It’s quite hard to keep them centred when you are initially working into the oval. A bit like trying to drift a drill bit. I’ve also made the mistake of over-enlargening when broaching. I’ve done the same on watch cases when replacing pendant tubes which is even worse.
Old Hippy makes a good point about the surface area available in your new bush which is probably less than original, and already quite thin due to the plate depth. But for this clock, I’m not sure it matters much. The other factor is the quality of the bush. Some are much harder than others, and some are made of crappy free cutting brass with too high a lead content. Also, they do work-harden if you hammer them. Time will tell how long any bush lasts.
Hi Moose A cracking job well done, Its a bit daunting the first time as there are so many things to go wrong but with care and attention to detail its doable , so well done you, another lesson learned and another skill.
Hi rodabod and thanks for the comments.
It was a tapered one as it happens, but I'm thinking I went in too aggressive with the first attempt, and no oil, which did not help at all. Maybe, I should also have started with a smaller diameter reamer, not sure about that though.
But I am pleased with this, as a first attempt. With more practice I hope to get better at it.
Moose, that’s great work. Well done.
I now realise that you were possibly using a fixed size broach/reamer rather than the typical tapered type. I think the latter possibly makes your work easier, especially when you need to use an odd-sized or roughly turned bush.