Tip on how to open a completely locked up watch case back

Max

I bought a nice vintage chronograph watch with a 7733. Nothing fancy but the watch was just appealing to me and a good start in jumping into the topic of servicing a chronograph. So far I did only one, which was a Heuer pocket watch.

So I wanted to open the case back with a very trusty old stainless steel opener called Vari-Matic.  It did not open, when I tried to clamp the case into a vice and use force with both hands... the HANDLE of the steel opening tool was breaking away! Watch still closed !

I was desperate and after a while chatting with a friend working on cars he explained me that he was wielding nuts to cracked parts to use a ratchet..hmmm..ok wielding might not be feasible but i was trying it with superglue. I took a 23 sized nut sanded it flat an glued it on the back using superglue and let it sit for a couple of hours over night.

This is how it looks like:

IMG_4299.thumb.jpg.d3f08feaeb8fa9577dea78f0a1fcd175.jpg

Next i clamped everything in my large vise and used the ratchet:

Capture.PNG.5d9577ca4ae49fc400d7a987d745c36b.PNG

Voila it was open:

Capture3.thumb.PNG.1bf9cd66d844b10191820447bf0e0052.PNG

And the best thing was that i did not even need massive heat to remove the superglue but dropped the nut and caseback into acetone for about 3 hours and it was gone. No residue just wiping of the back. See the pic below.....now i can service this watch.

IMG_4316.thumb.jpg.a1e4ad83c0c7e941b6c1cfc1737272f5.jpg

I hope this helps someone if he has no other option beside damaging the watch - give it a try - it worked perfectly.

Am I nuts or are there others out there doing this?

Capture2.PNG

IMG_4300.jpg

• Like 3

Yes, a useful technique when you can’t get your hands on a big Bertha opener. The trick is to use the biggest nut that will attach to the caseback, I learned that the hard way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perhaps next time I change the oil in my car I will Superglue a watch case back to the sump plug

On a serious note 'Mole' grips or locking plier grips (end of jaws down) have never failed me.

Edited by chrisdt
spelling

Lucky professional back openers are not extinct, All remains to do then is to ask borrow his muscles       :gym: .

Oiling around the rim and letting set overnight is known to have been effective, in which case even he :cold: can open the back. 

Regards joe

On 10/28/2018 at 9:18 PM, transporter said:

i have one question, where did you get your case holding vice/clamp, ive never seen one like that, I like the way each side is a different size to fit between lugs

Sorry for my late reply. I have this beauty from an old watchmaker. Its a bergeon tool

bergeon case holder 4077 is one size, there are different sizes available. But if you google it you will find it.

Greetings

Max