chrisbuxton27

My First Staking Set Advice

I need to purchase a staking set but not sure if a vintage one would be fit for purpose. I will be using it mainly to fit balance staffs around 0.3 - 0.4 mm dia. Would a vintage favourite have small enough holes and punches? Thanks

It was reasonably priced at £35......needed a bit of a clean up, but I quite like renovating tools.... :)

That was an absolute bargain!

I agree with what you say Legarm, buy a good quality second hand one, but check that it has the punch sizes you require and that nothing is broken or missing. When I purchased mine, the smallest holes in the plate were blocked and a couple of punches were broken. I turned the broken punches in my watchmakers lathe without softening them by using a carbide lathe tool, and cleaned out the holes by hand with micro drills.

Just bought this M.K.S almost complete with 110 pieces and little used. Only need to replace 3 balance staffs against replacing the complete balance and it's earnt it's keep.

Just hope it will do the job.

attachicon.gifIMG_1263.JPG

And a free comic relief nose......... :)

I'm also about to buy a staking set but don't know anything about them.

I assume the stakes, stups or whatever fits in that hole on top is hit with a hammer while a jeweling set has a lever to push stuff down. Pardon my ignorance and the simplification.

I've seen some staking sets that come with what looks like a jeweling handle.

Can anyone enlighten me on the difference and uses of all these tools? I appreciate it and thank you in advance.

I'd also would like to know -- if possible -- about interbrand parts compatibility to be able to purchase them in the future if necessary. And about the micrometer adjustments that some of them don't have? Thank you I know I'm asking a lot of question in just a paragraph!

PS. I'm looking at a K&D 600 on the bay at this time....is that brand OK and/or compatible with let's say Bergeon in case I need any stake or stump? Can I do jeweling with one of them?

Edited by bobm12

Bob, I bought a copy of this book and found it excellent.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-The-Watchmakers-Staking-Tool-High-quality-pro-printed-crisp-clean-Rare-book-/271447550319?pt=US_Nonfiction_Book&hash=item3f3388e96f

I would also suggest a K&D Reverso set as it allows you to use the punches as stumps thus increasing the versatility of the set.

bobm12, on 03 Oct 2014 - 12:27 PM, said:bobm12, on 03 Oct 2014 - 12:27 PM, said:

Pardon my ignorance and the simplification.

You and me both Bob ... I have no idea what all those stakes and stuff are for.

Thanks for the book reference Geo ... you are always an asset to this forum mate .... more reading and pipe smoking   ^_^

Edited by Lawson

Thank you Geo, I appreciate the link and reference. I guess I have lots of reading to do. As always great dependable information.

I figured the reverso set would have been a good tool set -- I've piece descriptions, etc into some sort of idea even though I don't know anything about those -- but how about getting more stakes/stumps if ever needed? Isn't it discontinued or something? How to deal with a set, any set, that is being discontinued? Are the parts needed sourced from other brands? (worst case scenario?)

@Lawson: I may have to find me a pipe too I guess!! :)

Finally found a good staking set!!  I've been looking for one since I started watch repairing a few months back.  But most I saw had either just been sold, missing parts, or in bad condition.

But eureka!  I got one that fits the bill (including cannon pinion resizers, and a micrometer for jewel replacement), and wasn't going to let it pass up, or let one of you buggers snag it before me this time.   ;)

I highly recommend to be patience when looking for a staking set, as good ones do come up from time to time.

Here's the pics ... cause we all love da pics:

post-246-0-58070800-1412494391_thumb.jpg

post-246-0-07730300-1412494398_thumb.jpg

post-246-0-04521300-1412494407_thumb.jpg

post-246-0-51721700-1412494411_thumb.jpg

post-246-0-64550600-1412494415_thumb.jpg

An absolute beauty Lawson, congratulations! I got one just like yours ( K&D 18 R) finally. I followed Geo's suggestions about reverse stakes and all. Just waiting for it to arrive. I'll post pictures too!

bobm12, on 06 Oct 2014 - 11:43 AM, said:

Oh by the way, mine isn't that complete either, this one is a real beauty and in mint condition!

I was very blessed to get this one.  My Lord indeed looks after me!

Still wanna see the pics of yours my friend,  get posting mate B)  

Well, I just received my 18R. I haven't really sorted out what goes where and probably be finishing the case but everything looks in good order and as a bonus I got the book Geo recommended and a jewel gauge I think! It was a little bit pricey but I figure it has most what I will need in quite a while. So, at Lawson's request, here it is:

post-253-0-18140100-1412832532_thumb.jpg

Awesome set there Bob!

I thought you said there was items missing?  It looks complete to me mate.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I researched they are a 100 piece kit, with slots for 114 items: so 14 extra slots.

Oh ....and as Marjorie says ....

post-246-0-40047900-1412836831_thumb.jpg

I have had a K&D staking set for a few years now.

The only issue I have is some of the really small holes are blocked and no mattter what I have tried they will not unblock. I now have to use a stump when I need a small hole. Also I had a few of the punches missing but I found the Bergeon punches fit Ok and purchased from Cousins.