chrisbuxton27

My First Staking Set Advice

Thank you Lawson, I was also pleasantly surprised when I got it last night! It seems all the slots are filled so I'd say 100 plus stakes, stumps et al. The vendor even sent the original manual -- it is not in the picture but inside the book since it was kind of old - He also sent the book which is brand new (Amazon US$45) and the jewel gauge. Everything seems in good order and no stake is clogged. I found myself unpacking very old small, vintage and unopened boxes from many years back to fill the places in the box. I believe this is a fortunate deal not just because of what I got but for discovering the vendor who is very meticulous and take good care the old fashioned way!

I also second Geo, clockboy, since I see myself ordering some of the Bergeon parts for this set when I need it. Thanks for the tip.

Thank you Daniel, it is and I'm very happy with it. If you need it I'll forward the vendor's link I dealt with. He seems to have still another set.

Even though I'm nowhere near actually needing these tools, I'm still watching a few on eBay. The K&D Inverto / Sietz Jeweling tool set looks like a great deal. I wish I could afford it as I'm sure someday I will need one.

You are welcome Daniel.

By the way guys, I have a little problem I can't figure out, in my home computer the paste icons in the editor won't work and the pictures won't show their path when I add them in the editor box. At work they do fine. Is there a setting I'm missing in my home computer. Should I turn on the compatibility setting in the tools option in my browser. I use IE11.

bobm12, on 10 Oct 2014 - 03:38 AM, said:

By the way guys, I have a little problem I can't figure out, in my home computer the paste icons in the editor won't work and the pictures won't show their path when I add them in the editor box. At work they do fine. Is there a setting I'm missing in my home computer. Should I turn on the compatibility setting in the tools option in my browser. I use IE11.

I find sometimes I have to open MS Paint and paste the image in there first and safe it to HDD.  IE11 is a true disaster of the browsers mate, have a look at the THOR browser, it's firefox on crack :)

By the way, I sent the person that sold me the staking set a thank you message.

He said they provide the same attention to their customers no matter how little the order is. He also said he will have a similar set available in a couple of weeks. It is going to be smaller: 100 stakes.

In any case, I find he is an excellent guy to do business and very nice to deal with according to my experience.

@ Lawson: I've been meaning to tell you Lawson, but it is always slipping, I love Marjorie's picture! :thumbsu:

Edited by bobm12

I just wanted to add where I purchased my staking set from, as I was so impressed by the service I recieved.

It's an online store "Watchtoolsonline" (you can click that name to link to the shop). 

A great bloke named Keith runs the shop, and his customer service is par-excellence.  His tools may not be as cheap as ones on fleabay, but everything he sells he personally inspects for quality and he doesn't sell worn out or rusty gear; the equipment he sells has been well looked after.

Also one major point is the way he packs the goods he ships out ... some of the best packaging I've seen from an online store!!

All the stakes were packed in little baggies (all individuals named on the bags), then bubble wrapped, and packed separate from the wooden box.  And inside the box was dense foam cut to length for a perfect fit.  Just outstanding!!

Nice to know some people still take pride in the way they sell.

That's a good recommendation Lawson, when mine was delivered (EBay) the wooden box had been damaged in transport due to lack of proper packing. Luckily I was able to do a good repair and refinish.

I'll be saving your recommended supplier for future use. Many thanks!

I'm sure this subject has been done to death but for someone on a fixed income and limited knowledge any help would be appreciated. I am pondering on purchasing a staking set and would like advise on the following:-  Would it be better to purchase a set from the Bay for around £200.The down side being condition, stakes missing etc plus the costly postage etc OR puchase an Indian set from Cousins at around £270 with the knowledge that it will be in new condition. There is often STAR sets up for sale..Anyone had experience of these?

On 10/5/2014 at 3:39 AM, Lawson said:

But eureka!  I got one that fits the bill (including cannon pinion resizers, and a micrometer for jewel replacement), and wasn't going to let it pass up, or let one of you buggers snag it before me this time.  

that's the "inverto" model isn't it?  very nice set.  I've got I think the same set but am missing the lever on the jewel setting bit, and the box top.  How someone as careful as a watchmaker has to be loses the wood box top is anyone's guess, oh well.

Sets are quite common on the classifieds it seems and it does not hurt to have a few.   I've had a couple of occasions where one set one will have just the thing as the variety of stakes is not the same between them all

Congrats on a great set

On 6/4/2018 at 4:02 AM, chrisdt said:

I'm sure this subject has been done to death but for someone on a fixed income and limited knowledge any help would be appreciated. I am pondering on purchasing a staking set and would like advise on the following:-  Would it be better to purchase a set from the Bay for around £200.The down side being condition, stakes missing etc plus the costly postage etc OR puchase an Indian set from Cousins at around £270 with the knowledge that it will be in new condition. There is often STAR sets up for sale..Anyone had experience of these?

Those number seem a bit high compared to what I see on the classifieds, they must be pristine.  Star are Swiss and seem like good quality.  i have or had a set, can't remember, sold some stuff lol.  Star is one of the few still in business and making Swiss watchmakers lathes

Edited by measuretwice

I can only say what types I had as I have never used or seen a set made in India. I had a Bergeon set that was handed to me from my master when he retired. I had already bought myself a complete new set, which had been made in Japan, which was very good. I have heard of STAR, I think they have be around for many years. With any second hand tools there can be pit falls, you pay your money and hope for the best. Is there anything on ebay you like the look off? If so you can message me and I’ll have a look.  

All western brands use 4.7mm punches, that are still single available for replacement. The indian punches have a different diameter - which is the main disadvantage of those sets.

Frank

Further on this subject I have finally purchased a staking set (see pictures) Not Swiss or Indian but British made. Not often used these days the British is Best phrase. Anyway purchased these quite cheaply because they seem to attract very little attention at auction. Now I'm wondering if Ive wasted what little cash I have available for tool purchase. Anyone got any experience of this make? What are the two little wooden tools for in the foreground? Yes I know the box is broken New pine one ordered....

I also purchased a small set of Favorite stakes (final pic) These are in excellent condition but are only 4.0mm dia and 5cm long whereas the stakes in the GESCo set are 4.7mm dia and 8.5mm in length so are not interchangeable. Anyone know what type of anvil I need for the Favorite set as I would like to use them

P1010001.JPG

P1010002.JPG

P1010003.JPG

P1010004.JPG

P1010005.JPG

P1010006.JPG

My advice is be careful when purchasing a used one. My staking set is a K&D and some of the stakes have damaged tips and the two smallest holes in the plate are blocked. I have never found a way to clear them so use stumps instead. The Bergeon stakes work with the K&D but are a bit loose. The usual applies the more you pay the better chance of quality.