I can't remove this last wheel!

Winston

9 minutes ago, Winston said:

I have to pull on the shaft coming thrue the pignon?

20171103_134408.jpg

You pull the pinion. I don't have a cannon pinion tool so use a sturdy pair of tweezers - like those in your first picture. 

It's important not to squash the walls of the cannon pinion, so grip it without too much pressure, and lift vertically. 

2 minutes ago, frenchie said:

If the watch hasn't been serviced in a while, it might take some effort. The important part is to not squeeze too hard if you use tweezers!

A canon pinion remover is a good tool to have around, and is somewhat cheap.

I have one of the cheap tools - like the hand remover tool, but it never seems to grip the pinion correctly. Maybe I need to do a bit of filing on it. The 'proper' tool is about £70

You can use the "presto" type hand removing tool as a cheaper alternative to a dedicated cannon pinion remover. It will pull the cannon pinion very neatly and will be a vertical pull, no risk of damage to the centre wheel arbour. You can dress the jaws of the tool for a perfect fit, they are only a couple of pounds from China.

I have a Bergeon cannon pinion removal tool, but still sometime use a presto tool as the Bergeon does not work on small cannon pinions.

Whilst tweezers will work, I think they are not ideal as you risk putting some stress on the centre wheel.

• Like 2

Thanks to everyone :) I am just starting in this amazing hobby. This a movement I got for 3$ to practice. I managed to disassemble it then reassemble it and make it run. Now I am going to disassemble it again, clean it and oil it while putting it back! Here are some pictures so you can the movement when it's stripped and when I started to clean parts :)

20171103_140659.jpg

• Like 2

15 hours ago, jguitron said:

£70 may be better than crimping the pinion while trying to pull it off and then having to either buy another one if still available or spend some effort in restoring it.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are correct of course. You prompted me to dress the jaws of the cheap "presto" type tool I have - as OIi mentions above.

And now they work really well ! 

• Like 1

Another option to remove the cannon pinion if you can't afford the remover is a pin vice. Just make sure you hold it straight and pull up, not to the side else you may break the shaft on the centre wheel.