Hamilton 18s P/W balance problem

TimFitz

Hi

I have a Hamilton 18s Pocket watch with an issue. I serviced  & reassembled it the watch works fine until I tighten down the screw holding the balance cock. it stops. When I loosen it the watch runs. The upper & lower balance jewels appear to be fine, the hair spring appears fine, the balance staff also. Perhaps I don't have the stem in the jewel correctly. Can anyone give me suggestions?

Thanks

33 minutes ago, vinn3 said:

test the "shake" of the balance staff with the screw down "snug". was the balance running before dissasembly?  i am confident you will find and fix the problem.   vin

Check the end shake of the balance staff like vinn3 suggests. I have serviced pocket watches and sometimes they do require small "shims" to increase the end shake and get them to run properly.  

J

Edited by noirrac1j
  • Thanks 1

Make sure the balance cock is not bent. Also, make sure the bottom plate area that is the place where the balance cock and bottom plate meet doesn’t have any nicks or imbedded marks; this could cause the balance cock to rest at a funny angle when screwed down. Is the balance staff in good condition?   

• Thanks 1

I checked the jewels & they are in correctly, when I bought the watch I was told it was running but had a hairspring issue, which was corrected by demagnetizing.There was no shim under the plate. However the bottom of the balance staff was hard to pull out of the jewel. I'm thinking balance staff problems?