How does this stem come out?

Stian

23eaf6342b9d93aed51005f5e47eafc1.jpg

Hi guys,

This Zenith 133.8 has a broken stem, but the first problem I have is how the stem comes out in the first place. There's no setting lever screw, and the only thing I can imagine is there being a spring that I could push down with the button close to the stem. This does however not seem to work.

Any ideas?

Stian

Sent from my VIE-L09 using Tapatalk

That's really interesting. I haven't seen that rotor design before, I can see they did it to keep the watch thin, not a bad idea, is there a name for that?

Anyway to answer your question, clockboy might be right, failing that I have known movements to have a completely invisible lever that pops out of nowhere, ready to be depressed, when you pull the winder out into first or second position. Might be worth checking for that.

Edited by Ishima

11 hours ago, Ishima said:

That's really interesting. I haven't seen that rotor design before, I can see they did it to keep the watch thin, not a bad idea, is there a name for that?

Likewise, that  is the first I have seen an oscillating weight with springs on, but not only that, a rotor that doesn't oscillate 360 degrees each way, this one looks to bounce back and fourth during wear.  Wonder how noisy that is.?

These are so called "bumper" movements and are the predecessors to full rotor autos. They are not actually particularly noisy but you can feel the rotor bouncing at each end of it's arc of movement. I have 2 or 3 in my collection and they are fun.

• Like 1

Have a read of this thread, it will be very similar to the operation of the Zenith and will give you an idea of things to look out for when servicing it.

Great, thx!

Likewise, that  is the first I have seen an oscillating weight with springs on, but not only that, a rotor that doesn't oscillate 360 degrees each way, this one looks to bounce back and fourth during wear.  Wonder how noisy that is.?

It's indeed a bumper movement, and it's not at all noisy. You do feel a soft thud on your wrist every time it bumps, which is the fun feel mentioned :)

Stian