Lug holes need reaming - how to?

Blubarb

Hi Guys, I have an interesting newbie problem. I have a vintage acutron case and on trying to remove the spring bar it snapped flush with the lug and now I have to find a way to ream out the scrap. I have a dremel tool with a drill bit that should do the trick but the problem is the other lug gets in the way and I will be approaching at an angle. Any tips/tools to help? 

IMG_4207.jpg

IMG_4206.jpg

• Like 1

Perhaps by hand is the way to go. Using the small bit that you have gripped in pliers at 90

degrees and tiny amount of lubricant to get it to shift. Its probably only tiny, less than half the width of the lug.

Have you got a friendly dentist? They have tiny drills that fit into a 90 degree drive.

If only it was a Tissot, Most of the vintage models the hole goes right through.

Chris

Edited by chrisdt
  • Like 1

Thanks, Chris. That's interesting you mention a dentist, I do have a friendly dentist, a relative, but I can't imagine him staying too too friendly at the idea :-)  I believe that lug holes are applied in the early stages of case construction and drilled from the outside through and then filled. I might end up having them drilled through as I prefer through lug holes anyway. It's an interesting problem but the dremel hand held just might be enough to loosen out the remaining scrap. 

• Like 1

I've been fortunate in removing these broken spring bar ends by using a bit of patience , some light or penetrating oil , a sharp needle to manipulate the broken piece  , tapping , my ultra sonic , and hot water .  I'll try the oil and let it sit  , probe , tap , and vibrate in the ultra sonic . The hot water helps to expand the lug a bit . These are not in as tight as a broken screw . I can never control the dremel in a situation like this , and either elongate the hole , and/or scratch the other lug .

To be honest I have always considered reaming to be a little on the aggressive side when it came to addressing the issue of blocked lug holes.

I have always found syringing by my GP to be quite satisfactory......

:D:D:D:D

Sorry, the topic title was just an open invitation and I couldn't resist.

• Like 2