Stupid day

Tried to correct shape on an hairsping, It wasn't even much wrong. Failed miserably with the typical (for me) sequence of any corrections making it worse. Now is junk.

Grabbed a brand new balance complete, End stud has to be inserted on the balance cock (ETACHRHON, not screw type). Did not follow Seiko instructions to do that with the balance mounted, slip push and pull, another one is distorted and goes  to the trash bin.

Tapatalk on my "new" smartphone doesn't connect.

Stupid day.

• Like 1

I think we all have those days jdm don't get too upset. I was servicing my father's watch a couple of weeks ago. It took me a good nine hours and when I was done the clutch wheel didn't want to engage to wind the watch! I ended up taking it all apart again and in the process lost a small spring that flew across the room and I just gave up. It really got to me and lowered my confidence, but I realized that everyone makes mistakes how else can we learn?

• Like 2

It took a lot of time and concentration to drill both end of the balance of the Agat stop watch. And ruined all with a replacement pivot having to big cone angle.... I make this mistake a second time :pulling-hair-out:

14440934_1055993527851843_7462595740595293361_n.jpg

Put this project aside for a while.

Edited by szbalogh

I did a strip down of a really nice Seiko 2206a movement last night.  Everything went swimmingly.  I put the balance cock on a balance tack for safe keeping before reinstalling it after strip down.  One errant movement sent the balance cock off the tack and across the desk.  Literally, it flew like a click spring from my tweezers.  (sigh)  That's when you know it's time to pack it in (and maybe have a drink).  Luckily it appears the cock, balance, and hairspring survived.  It'll be amazing if that's the case.  We'll see.

We all have days like this I'm sure.  I have two containers with cursed movements in them.  Nothing I do can go right with those two.  I've turned a hairspring into a tiny little rat's nest too.  It's amazing what skilled hands can do with so little effort!

I hope things go better for you later.  Usually bad days are followed shortly by those amazing days where everything goes right and you think, "this isn't that hard".  ^_^

• Like 2

Thanks guys. My issue with myself is that I've already made small pile of destroyed HS. Even if Seiko parts are not expensive, it's such a waste. Admittedly today wasn't my better manual ability day and I should have gave up since the beginning.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, jdm said:

Thanks guys. My issue with myself is that I've already made small pile of destroyed HS. Even if Seiko parts are not expensive, it's such a waste. Admittedly today wasn't my better manual ability day and I should have gave up since the beginning.

There are reasons why I work on mostly pocket watches, the larger the better. The parts are much bigger and a bit easier to work with. The added plus is, I really like pocket watches. However I frequently loose or break things, It gives me an opportunity to use as much bad language as I can.

1 hour ago, jdm said:

Im OCD with my watches and I have screwed up quite a few when I really shouldn't have touched them. Don't get too down about it. At the end of the day they are just objects anyway. And they can be repaired. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TimFitz said:

There are reasons why I work on mostly pocket watches, the larger the better. The parts are much bigger and a bit easier to work with. The added plus is, I really like pocket watches. However I frequently loose or break things, It gives me an opportunity to use as much bad language as I can.

Absolutely, no big deal. But I need my watches to work well in order to sell them. This one had a poor amplitude to begin with, so money/time investment was in the budget already.

Last couple of days I have been trying to learn to use a mainspring winder.  First two attempts ended up coming out into nice tight tangled balls!

On a positive note......I think they may make nice Christmas tree decorations!

Eric

• Like 3

I've had similar repair slowness due to parts retrieval, this Seiko 8306 has more springs that 1950's mattress! I have pinged a few around but luckily found and got back in...Installed a new day wheel and it still won't advance, so off with the top end again, checked all setting and winding functions, still good, but man what a time with this one... thought I had date jumper spring in backwards.:huh: Then the ^%$# crown came off! :pulling-hair-out:

My luck, it's my watch and not a friends. My empathies gentleman....DSCF0321.JPG

On 10/9/2016 at 3:01 PM, RyMoeller said:

I did a strip down of a really nice Seiko 2206a movement last night.  Everything went swimmingly.  I put the balance cock on a balance tack for safe keeping before reinstalling it after strip down.  One errant movement sent the balance cock off the tack and across the desk.  Literally, it flew like a click spring from my tweezers.  (sigh)  That's when you know it's time to pack it in (and maybe have a drink).

I've done that! Mine did not survive intact. Out of flat now. I think I can fix it, but am waiting for a nice relaxed day :)

On October 13, 2016 at 10:48 AM, dadistic said:

I've done that! Mine did not survive intact. Out of flat now. I think I can fix it, but am waiting for a nice relaxed day :)

Well unfortunately the same happened to me- hairspring looks like a whirling dervish.  Thankfully Seiko parts are not expensive!