How i make a watch stem

A friend of mine asked if i want to make a stem for him. I have improved my hardware and wanted to try so happily accepted :)

Not in the Dremel now. Here the pulley wheel is serving as a dividing plate with 4 holes making sure that the rectangle cross-section will be perfect. Turning with help of a microscope, no loupe at all. 

2016-10-07_15_18_06.jpeg

2016-10-07_17_49_00.jpeg

A thin glass strip is hot glued on the "T-rest" which has two purpose. The file is sliding on it easily and it is making sure that the sides will be parallel.

2016-10-07_17_49_08.jpeg

2016-10-08_14_59_38.jpeg

Still a lot to file down.

The workpiece is a spoke of a Chehoslovak Favorit road racer. Even tungsten carbide is softer if hardened.

• Like 5

Finaly i got something similar to a winding stem.... for the 6th try.... 

20161016_142231.jpeg

M1.2 thread done. The stem here was turned down to 1.15mm to make sure it wont break while tapping. 

20161017_181000.jpeg

After heated to red and dropped in brine. It is so hard and brittle, i can hear it whizzling near my ear :)

20161017_191123.jpeg

Using my special top quality heating pan

20161017_192510.jpeg

Annealed. Not as shiny like on pictures one can find on pro-watchmaker school sites, but the color tells me the temperature and that is important.

20161017_192910.jpeg

And the best thing is, i dont had the movement. So there might be a big surprise for the guy i made it if it wont work :)

Edited by szbalogh

On 2016. 10. 18. at 0:00 AM, MilTimeCan said:

I am in awe.

Wow, I worked on a lot of plastic model aircraft parts in my younger days, but I have never seen anything like this. 

Sir, you are a pro !

Not a pro for sure :) Just so excited while discovering this new watchmaking world. For an experienced watchmaker this is an every day job :) And i am sure i could make it better. For example if i had a glass fiber scratch brush, then the bluing would be better. Also i am not satisfied with the setting lever slot.The rectangular edges here are not perfect. I will have to grind a better graver to cut this type of slots.

Made a video of this project, threading included.

Edited by szbalogh
  • Like 5