My Latest Project Watch Has Arrived.

I've just bought a Seiko chronograph that requires a few things to get it up and running. I will strip the movement and give it a good clean and lube to see if I can get it firing on all cylinders. A new stem is required, but unfortunately they seem in the same storage location as hens teeth; the hunt is on!

post-124-0-20432800-1399984199_thumb.jpg

post-124-0-97208600-1399984213_thumb.jpg

post-124-0-90609500-1399984229.jpg

Edited by Geo
  • Like 1

I always wanted one when they were ultra cool back in 1970 something or other,  but the usual story,  never had sufficient funds,  Now I can have one the need is not so pressing.  That looks like a nice example and they still look cool,  whatever cool means.

There are a couple of videos on YouTube about the winding system, in case you are not aware of them,  if you search for seiko magic lever system,  it should find them.

Thanks for your comments Roger, like you I fancied one back then. I remember wandering through the Spanish resorts with shops full of the things.

Regarding the autowind mechanism, I have serviced a couple of non-chronograph Seikos, so that bit won't be an issue. It's the chrono I want to get my teeth into because it is different from the ones I have been working on.

An interesting aside, I just found out that this was the first type of automatic chronograph in space!

Try schillachi61 on fleabay, good bloke who stocks lots of Seiko parts. He has a stem listed on fleabay Ireland but not on the UK site as far as I can see. Definitely worth contacting.

Many thanks for the heads up, I really appreciate it. I'll check it out tonight.

• 2 weeks later...

A wee update.

I've had to get a few bits for this one; Crown, stem, balance assembly, movement retaining ring, pusher seals and springs, back gasket and bracelet.

I managed to get a new crown and stem, but I could not get one with the gear for turning the inboard bezel. Hopefully I'll pick one up in the future. When I fitted these I discovered a problem with the quickset day and date mechanism. It turned out to be an easy fix, it was diagnosing the problem that was the tricky bit. It turned out to be a distorted leaf spring, so a simple tweet with pliers sorted it.

Having sorted that, I took a look at the now running balance assembly and discovered that someone had glued the end of the spring into the cock. I've managed to buy a good second hand one for £6.00 so I'm well pleased.

Update to come!

Balance assembly arrived today. I've tried it in the watch and it's running 12 secs fast with a beat error of 2.3ms. I'm well chuffed with that because I still have to service the movement and make adjustments.

Well I've had to order a second crown..........damn! I dropped the one I just bought and it has evaporated, even on my white carpet. What amazes me is it the first thing that I have not been able to find, and I've lost and found parts that are so small they would hardly irritate you eye if it popped in. A new one has been ordered, so you can guarantee the original will turn up now.

• 3 weeks later...

Thumbs up on your project!

Just sharing...

Seiko 6139 aka "Pogue" 

Seiko's calibre 6139, also introduced in 1969 displayed a combination of column wheel and vertical clutch. The clutch, the vertical variety is the chronograph component that guarantees the chronograph second hand does not flutter when activated. It prevents wear on the column wheel and ensures accuracy by aiding in maintaining balance amplitude. The really innovative thing about the Seiko calibre is a proprietary innovation: a 3-pronged hammer component called the magic lever that efficiently saves room and components. According to seiko it also allows all three chronographs hands to be reset in perfect unison

post-235-0-23439800-1402492607_thumb.jpg

Thumbs up on your project

Thank you for that and welcome to the forum Jay.

I've been holding up completion of this project because I require the correct stem and gear assembly. If I don't find one soon, I'll have to compromise and build it without the inner bezel being capable of rotating. :-(

Thank you for that and welcome to the forum Jay.

I've been holding up completion of this project because I require the correct stem and gear assembly. If I don't find one soon, I'll have to compromise and build it without the inner bezel being capable of rotating. :-(

Where do you normally source your parts from?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bob, the movement is a 6139B and the watch is designated Seiko 6139-6002. It would be great if you could help. :-)

I'm in currently renovating my kitchen, so it will be a while before I get back to watch projects. :-(

• 2 months later...

7629d3ae-b28c-4060-a30c-bf6e58a963b1.jpg

Finished at last. It required a lot more than I originally thought.

1) Stem with spring, bezel gear and crown. Many thanks to Roger "Autowind" for supplying this.

2) Pusher springs. The springs were missing.

3) Balance assembly and bridge. The stud was broken off the hairspring making timing impossible.

4) Delecate repair to bezel teeth. Damaged at some pint due to stem gear not engaging properly.

5) Required movement retaining ring and spring. It had been abused at some time and was cracked.

6) Replaced minute counter hand. A replacement had been fitted but was the wrong shape.

7) Replaced and lubricated all seals.

8) Totaly re-finished case.

9) Fitted new replacement strap.

10 Enjoying wearing it!

There is slight abrasion to the coloured outer bezel, I may replace it at a later date.

• Like 2

Now that is a great watch!  I am scared to try servicing a chronograph for fear that it will end up as a pile of plates, screws, levers and wheels. Seems like you already ahead of the game if a new balance got it running...even if its fast, the overhaul should remedy that! Please post a step by step with photos when you get around to the disassembly so that I can get a sense of whether it is within my skill set? Thanks Geo!!

JC