Screw case back not coming off.....

Could that be one of these snap on backs that are made to look like screw on?  I ask the question because I would have expected your press to have easily dealt with it.  Have a very close look at it with a loupe to see if there is a prise slot anywhere.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Geo said:

Could that be one of these snap on backs that are made to look like screw on?  I ask the question because I would have expected your press to have easily dealt with it.  Have a very close look at it with a loupe to see if there is a prise slot anywhere.

+1 to that. I have one watch with such a caseback :)

It looks as if someone has had a go with a hammer and chisel. I'm wondering if the back has become cross threaded, or as others have said it is not a screw on back. Looking on Google Invicta watch backs are usually screw on and as its been pointed out the tool you have should open it. I'm still going with this is a snap on back.

Usually when it's not a screw back, the back usually moves a little. Then I know by the way it moves it's a pop off. Does that make any sense?

I have looked for a slot, but their isn't one. I've taken a razor to it but it broke, and I'm afraid to take a dull blade to it because I might scratch it more! But I might do just that and try the dull blade opener just to see.

I even thought it was like the crown wheel screw and twisted clock-wise, But to no avail!

After all this I think I'm going to say, " send it to manufacture!"

Would you?

Diamondslayer

Very surprising you'd struggle with a case back with equipment like that, I'm wondering if like clockboy said that maybe someone got clever with the superglue (I've seen it before first hand) 

My only suggestions are to check the condition of the nibs that slot into the caseback, so that they're not rounded or chipped or anything and also that it's sometimes helpful to put some chamois or similar between the watch and case vice, really helps keep the watch still and steady. 

Edited by Ishima

Having spent a hour checking the net all the 1102 model watch details I can find suggest it is a counter clockwise screw back so its either glued or cross threaded as suggested before.

If its cross threaded have you tried turning it clockwise a bit to break the bond between the male and female parts. I've had to do this on a couple of vintage screw backs in the past.

If its cross threaded have you tried turning it clockwise a bit to break the bond between the male and female parts. I've had to do this on a couple of vintage screw backs in the past.

Wow, thanks Cad for your time! I will try to jiggle it a bit to see if it is cross threaded! If it is, should I glue it because the threads are ruined?

That's what cross threaded means right?

It won't move either way I turn it! I think someone put the back on off kilter and it is ruined! I am starting to give up and want to suggest sending it to Invicta!

This may be a case for a little penarating oil the only time a little WD40 may be a good idea. I've also used boiling by sitting the case back in it to expand the case a bit then put ice on the back plate to cool it quickly to shrink it a bit and try to twist it of or you could as you say send it back to invicta but that will probably cost you.

Mick

• 2 weeks later...

I once met a guy who replaced watch batteries and did some repairs in his little shop, but to my shock he use to super glue all the watches that left, just so no one in the city would know how to open it and they would have to come back to his store.... I argued with him on the matter and how that was straight out cheating the customer and the profession. he shrugged it off and said it was competition with his neighbors!!!!

But i hope you get it open, try putting some torque on the press while opening and going very deliberately slow while turning.

another trick i have learened with stubborn watches is put super glue on the case back and put tweezers on there for a second and then tuen, you will have a very solid grip that won't slip, also put it in a vise while you do that. Although the watches were clear stainless steel backs so clean up was easy with acetone, you have a black case back so don't know how that would work?

Good luck , i wish you all the best