FL

1970's Hamilton P2 Pulsar

Question

Hello, new to the site, and already with a question. I hope someone can help...

I found an old (vintage) Hamilton LCD watch the P-2 (I think, since it only has one push button for time only) cleaned it up and opened the case. The batteries had been taken out, so no corrosion. I went and purchased the battery "adapters" since this watch takes two of the current 377 batteries now. Put it all back together and...NOTHING.:pulling-hair-out:

After further examination I noticed that "board" where the batteries reside, was...well for a lack of a better term, rather darkened, as if it went through some heat damage. At first, I did not think anything of it, since I thought maybe this was done purposely to make the LCD red digits contrast better. I believe that the board is done, kaput, finito. My question is: Might there be a source for a replacement board (you really cant call it a movement), since there are NO MOVING parts, LOL.B)

If anyone can assist with any information either as to supplier, or any ideas as to what may be going on with the Movement.

Thank you in Advance,

Felix

5 answers to this question

I have also been servicing a quartz watch (Miyota 6L72) with Renata 377 battery and had non-running problems. I solved problem by fitting an insulator to the negative contact in the battery hole where it goes into the movement. I think that without this insulator the battery was shorting out across the negative contact.  I think the battery design/dimensions may be different to the brand Miyota list in their tech data.  Maybe worth a try ?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Emil
      Hi guys, I am having a hard time figuring out what KIF Elastor spring to order on cousins to replace a broken one I have in a Hamilton movement cal. 61. I cannot find any databases that have any info about this movement but I am wondering what the difference is between the elastor 3-2 and 3-3 (what do I measure??).
      Thanks for the help!!
      -Emil
    • By B3stia
      Hey,
      I'm on the lookout for a Hairpsring for a Hamilton cal 770. I've managed to find out that it's a Breguet made from Elinvar but that's about it. 
      Does anybody know the parts number? If you also know where to get hold of one it would be very appreciated.
      Thanks!
      /A
    • By Emil
      Hi everyone, 
      I recently got an amazing Hamilton Sea Cliff 3 watch from the early 70s powered by a handwound cal.61. I received the watch and it had not been serviced in a very long time. I serviced the watch but unfortunately used an oil pick that was too large to take the elastor shock absorbing spring out to get to the endstones. I accidentally broke one of the two levers off in the process and am now left with a functioning movement that I am afraid might become easily damaged by displacement of the endstones from small shocks. I have included a photo of the KIF Elastor spring below. I looked all over the internet, and i cannot find a supplier that will sell to me (not a trained or professional watchmaker). Does anybody know where I can get one of these springs? It would be greatly appreciated if somebody could lead me in the right direction as to where to get one and how to tell if it is the 3-3 or 3-2 sizing or even have any idea what ETA movement this cal.61 is based on as there is not a complete database of these movements online.:( Thank you everyone for your help!!
      -Emil:)

• By tomprobkins
      Here is my puzzle. I have a watch that I am working on. A Hamilton 987. It has been cleaned and oiled and demagnetized. When I run it on the timing machine the horizontal rates and the pendant down rate are all close and about +/- 4s/day. When I move it to pendant left things get weird. It has the same amplitude but the daily rate goes way off the chart -98s/day or something, also the beat error goes from 0.5ms to 0.0ms.   The hairspring is running unobstructed, and he regulator fingers are adjusted correctly.   How can this happen? How can a wheel spinning at the same amplitude produce such a wildly different rate? And how does the beat error change with the position change like that?    Thoughts?    Thanks  Rob 
    • By Paul78
      Hi all, i have another military watch - this time a Hamilton, this one is a customers brought in for a service. We know the date it was producded and various other info, how ever it does'nt have 'Hamilton' on the dial. We have also found there seems to be different style models with the same serial number. Would any of you military enthusiasts be able to give us any more info?    thanks