First acrylic crystal replacement

Question

I have a watch that I am fixing up for myself. After lots of research l, I concluded my watch is a 1960s Hamilton Stormking VII. As my watch needs a new crystal I ordered one from ebay that is for a Hamilton stormking VII. When I got it in I immediately realized that it doesn't fit. The replacement seems to me about 1mm larger than the original. (I dont have a caliper). Is this even a Hamilton Stormking VII? Or did I get the right crystal but I have to modify it before it fits?

20200609_175324.jpg

20200609_175301.jpg

20200609_175254.jpg

9 answers to this question

Place the crystals back to back. If the new one is larger than the old you'll need to order another crystal. As @Daniel123 suggests, get yourself a caliper and go to cousinsuk.com (best supplier of parts in Europe for professionals and enthusiasts).

As an option, and depending on how deep the scratches go, you can sandpaper the crystal. You'll find detailed instructions here. That's what I always do unless the crystal is beyond salvage. It is easy, will make the crystal look like new, and will save you some money in the long run.

1 hour ago, VWatchie said:

Place the crystals back to back. If the new one is larger than the old you'll need to order another crystal. As @Daniel123 suggests, get yourself a caliper and go to cousinsuk.com (best supplier of parts in Europe for professionals and enthusiasts).

As an option, and depending on how deep the scratches go, you can sandpaper the crystal. You'll find detailed instructions here. That's what I always do unless the crystal is beyond salvage. It is easy, will make the crystal look like new, and will save you some money in the long run.

The scratches are fairly deep.

1 hour ago, Amateurwatchbreaker said:

The scratches are fairly deep

So, better then to replace it. Please keep us informed. There’s always something to learn.

• Thanks 1
19 minutes ago, VWatchie said:

So, better then to replace it. Please keep us informed. There’s always something to learn.

Will do! One more question. I thought I ordered the right crystal for this watch. So if a Hamilton Stormking VII crystal doesn't fit my watch, does it mean it is not a Hamilton Stormking VII?

4 hours ago, Amateurwatchbreaker said:

does it mean it is not a Hamilton Stormking VII?

I really don’t know, but it could be, but a different “version” of it. I believe some watches have the same name and look but are offered with different case sizes.

• Thanks 1

• Similar Content

• By chatlourd
      I have a Looking Thomas Earnshaw - Longitude - ES-0025-05 and as you can see from the photo below the hand on the month dial has come off. In order to put it back on I need to remove the movement / dial from the case but I cannot seem to remove the crown / stem in order to do so. Any ideas?

• By ColinT
      My dream is to own a Franck Muller watch and I think and hope I’ve found the perfect one. It looks old and beat up, perfect for restoration but need help seeing if this is 100% real! 

• By Amateurwatchbreaker
      I bought a vintage bulova sea king automatic at a antique mall for 80 dollars and I discovered the reason for its lower cost. It appears that it was someone's project watch that they sold. It has a 11 Anacd movement and the rotor is stuck. It can move but it grinds against the metal underneath it. The middle portion of the rotor(with the engraving) is loose and moves independently of the rest of the rotor. I have no clue how to remove the rotor as there are no screws on it. Is this a deeper problem than just the rotor or can I fix/ replace the rotor?

• By Amateurwatchbreaker
      I have a watch movement that I have hunting for a case for a long time now. I bought the movement rather cheaply as I absolutely love the patina on the dial. The movement is an Wittnauer 11arg (as 1361). When the rotor turns the automatic assembly slips (or maybe the mainspring). The pictured gear slips when the rotor turns. I can still wind the movement by hand however the automatic assembly slipping I believe causes the mainspring to unwind. Does anyone know what is wrong/ what I can do to remedy it?
      Thanks for your help,
      Amateurwatchbreaker

• By Amateurwatchbreaker
      I have been on the hunt for a vintage titoni airmaster for a while now and I have my eye on one but I am questioning whether or not it is a Franken watch. My main concerns are the spacing on the dial is too large-it appears that the movement may be loose in the case. Secondly, the caseback does not appear to be a Titoni caseback. Is this a "unknown" reference or is this a fake/franken watch? I need to know pretty soon a I am the current highest bidder and I may cancel my bid.

eBay link: 
      https://www.ebay.com/itm/402565751132