First acrylic crystal replacement

Question

I have a watch that I am fixing up for myself. After lots of research l, I concluded my watch is a 1960s Hamilton Stormking VII. As my watch needs a new crystal I ordered one from ebay that is for a Hamilton stormking VII. When I got it in I immediately realized that it doesn't fit. The replacement seems to me about 1mm larger than the original. (I dont have a caliper). Is this even a Hamilton Stormking VII? Or did I get the right crystal but I have to modify it before it fits?

20200609_175324.jpg

20200609_175301.jpg

20200609_175254.jpg

9 answers to this question

Place the crystals back to back. If the new one is larger than the old you'll need to order another crystal. As @Daniel123 suggests, get yourself a caliper and go to cousinsuk.com (best supplier of parts in Europe for professionals and enthusiasts).

As an option, and depending on how deep the scratches go, you can sandpaper the crystal. You'll find detailed instructions here. That's what I always do unless the crystal is beyond salvage. It is easy, will make the crystal look like new, and will save you some money in the long run.

1 hour ago, VWatchie said:

Place the crystals back to back. If the new one is larger than the old you'll need to order another crystal. As @Daniel123 suggests, get yourself a caliper and go to cousinsuk.com (best supplier of parts in Europe for professionals and enthusiasts).

As an option, and depending on how deep the scratches go, you can sandpaper the crystal. You'll find detailed instructions here. That's what I always do unless the crystal is beyond salvage. It is easy, will make the crystal look like new, and will save you some money in the long run.

The scratches are fairly deep.

1 hour ago, Amateurwatchbreaker said:

The scratches are fairly deep

So, better then to replace it. Please keep us informed. There’s always something to learn.

• Thanks 1
19 minutes ago, VWatchie said:

So, better then to replace it. Please keep us informed. There’s always something to learn.

Will do! One more question. I thought I ordered the right crystal for this watch. So if a Hamilton Stormking VII crystal doesn't fit my watch, does it mean it is not a Hamilton Stormking VII?

4 hours ago, Amateurwatchbreaker said:

does it mean it is not a Hamilton Stormking VII?

I really don’t know, but it could be, but a different “version” of it. I believe some watches have the same name and look but are offered with different case sizes.

• Thanks 1

• Similar Content

• By Amateurwatchbreaker
      Is this real? Thinking of bidding on it, but something seems off...

• By Amateurwatchbreaker
      I have a beautiful Wittnauer 11arg movement that I bought off a jewler for 10 dollars. I figured that I could easily find a suitable case to fit the movement. To this date I have been unable to find a home for this movement. A year ago I ordered a case off of ebay that matched with my movement. When the package arrived at my house it was empty. The Wittnauer 11arg movement is based off an as 1361. Does anybody know where I can find obscure parts/ know where I can get a suitable case?

• By Rafael
      Hello,
      Anyone here have an experience with a similar vintage Omega and knows how to remove the movement from the case? Tried rotating the movement (slightly, i'm afraid i'll break something) but with no luck.
      Thanks!

• By grh215
      Hello everyone. I have a really sad story and I am a complete amateur. I am a machinist for a living so I thought I would give a crack at making a frankenwatch, however it did not go as planned and now I have a movement with subdials that don’t work and a whole lot of parts and money invested and I don’t know what to do. I need the help of a professional. The donor movement was a NOS, new old stock, and was running perfectly, however I messed up almost everything attempting to make this watch. I will happily ship all of the parts needed to complete this watch and pay for any repair that need to be made and for the return shipping. I need the help of a professional how can repair and assemble the watch with the parts and return it to me. I will pay for everything, the labor, replacement parts, return shipping, I just need someone’s help. 
      Details about the project: 
      movement: valjoux 7733
      dial: vintage NOS angelus chronograph dial
      case: custom machined case 
      crystal: plexiglass

• By RobRoy
      Hello forum, this is my first time posting.
      I found my great-grandfathers Timex maybe about a year ago, and to my dismay, it wound right up some 50 years later. From what I can tell, it looks to be a viscount model maybe pre-1960s? Possibly closest to a model 31 movement. My area of expertise is really limited to owning battery operated watches, so I'm hoping someone could help.
      I was using my hand to hit a wrench for my car and I didn't even notice I had my watch on. The movement stopped and from then on it's been acting funky, basically just stopping randomly throughout the day, but then restarting. When I take off the case and manually wind the rotor with my fingers, it will continue to run for quite some time, but once I try to wind it with the crown and stem or maybe even shake the watch it may only last a few moments.
      I hope someone may be able to help me diagnose some potential sources of this, since I would love to keep wearing my great-grandfathers watch. I've attached pictures too