Keyless Works

I am curious how many of you leave the keyless works in place when putting the plate through an ultrasonic cleaner.  I always leave it in myself and haven't run into issues but can this cause any harm?  (trying to revamp my servicing process, lol)  Thanks in advance!!!

I always take apart: it is often a very dirty part of the movement (old grease and very close to the outside of the watch, where dust, water... can get in). If you take it apart, you can see any potential rust or unusual wear.

I don't think it can cause harm, but you can miss something.

Just my inexperienced opinion.

• Like 1

Thanks for your response, makes sense.  Like my mainspring barrel issue, I need to check these things let alone re-check!  Maybe I should reserve that shortcut for "clean" movements....some of these are spotless on the inside, which is amazing.  Thanks again

Still a novice myself, but I don't see the need to take any shortcuts. I have zero confidence that I can tell by eye if something is "clean" or not, to many things like films of finger oil/grease/dust that are too hard to see. Easier to tear it all down and clean it, then re-assemble with gloves/cots to keep everything pristine. Well, except with the Timex movements, I'm still Duncan Swish with those.

Thanks!

• Like 1

complete strip down of all the parts, The keyless is always the one where the previous repairer is a bit too heavy on the grease.. if you dont strip down a complete watch you may miss a part that is not functioning or is damaged.

part of the service is to inspect every part for damage.

Keep up the good work !

• Like 1

Thanks again guys, I will do that from now on....it's just a few extra parts to remove, not sure why I stopped doing it except to save time.  What's an extra 10-15 minutes anyway?   :gym:

I have found to my cost there are no shortcuts to watch repair/servicing. When stripping remove all parts & check as you go thoroughly, it saves lots of time & frustration.

This is most likely the reason why I have failed a number of times early on my friend....good advice!

why is everyone dissing timex?

i got my first watch from my grandmother for xmas when i was 10 and it was a timex.

it was an indestructible tank of a watch.

foolishly gave it to a girlfriend in my teens.

looking back and given a choice, i would rather have the watch back than that girlfriend.

nasty disposition. 

and she couldn't keep time.

no sense of rhythm at all.

i got my first watch from my grandmother for xmas when i was 10 and it was a timex.

looking back and given a choice, i would rather have the watch back than that girlfriend.

nasty disposition.

It's not a dis on timex. It's just a fact. They can be taken apart but in most if not all cases you will not be able to put it back together. Just the way they are manufactured. Top and bottom plate riveted together. I can't even think of a timex movement you can service effectively.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nasty disposition. 

I seem to be the only one that is somewhat servicing them using that method.  I am trying to save as many Timex's as possible here, lol!

Edited by jeffc83

I actually have quite a lot of respect for Timex watches for reasons stated here:

http://www.watchrepairtalk.com/topic/1560-timex-electric-wont-run-with-new-battery/?hl=timex

If you read the thread to the end you'll see where I stand in respect to these much maligned little beasties

I am going to read it now, thanks! (love reading about them)

As a side note, I just purchased a lot that had a beautiful Timex Quartz in it.  (I do not collect nor service quartz watches)  Before throwing it into the "quartz" bin, I thought it felt a little heavy for a low end quartz watch so I opened it up.  I then saw something unique in there and started doing research.  I then learned about the electric quartz and went nuts....THIS is the technology I prefer along with the tuning fork movements since the second hand is a continuous sweep PLUS it lasts a year without winding;)  To top it off, it's as accurate as can be since it utilizes quartz technology. (not even a second off in 24 hours)  Timex is a nice brand that made many beautiful watches...I'm proud to wear mine today.

No dissing at all. If you look at the Timex service manuals, that is the recommended method of cleaning a movement. The do say to take out the balance, which means un-pinning the hairspring (what fun!) but don't recommend separating the plates.

Cheers!

Edited by dadistic
  • Like 1

No dissing at all. If you look at the Timex service manuals, that is the recommended method of cleaning a movement. The do say to take out the balance, which means un-pinning the hairspring (what fun!) but don't recommend separating the plates.

Cheers!

Right, like I'd spend that kind of time doing that versus the dunk and swish method;)  I love Timex but it isn't worth spending tons of time on. (ducking)