Omega Seamaster Cal 552 Crystal Removal

nilsax

Hi everyone! I recently bought an OMEGA Seamster ref 14700 1 SC with the nice 552 movement. I want to change the crystal since it has a lot of scratches and a crack on the inside. Maybe ill even be able to clean the dial (a few spots at the moment). How do i get the movement loose after i've removed the stem? I guess it's the screw down-right in the picture? Furthermore i like the watch a lot and the crosshair dial is a really nice detail. 

post-1769-0-14690900-1453667049_thumb.jp

post-1769-0-69990700-1453667050_thumb.jp

There are two movement holders on the 552 as well as most movement? You can see one in the lower right corner on your picture. The other is on the other side. remove those and lift the movement gently out. Be very gentle with the dial? And change the gasket when you put the watch together again. 

• Like 1

There is one critical thing to consider before you start to clean the dial.

I offer this quote from a highly respected watchmaker:

"Only advice I can give with regards to cleaning dials is...only clean it if you are prepared to destroy it."

There is one critical thing to consider before you start to clean the dial.

I offer this quote from a highly respected watchmaker:

"Only advice I can give with regards to cleaning dials is...only clean it if you are prepared to destroy it."

Perfect quote! I will bear this in mind :)

Welcome to the forum Nilsax.

DO NOT clean the dial!! REPEAT...DO NOT CLEAN THE DIAL!!

JC

Yes, it feels lika a difficult work to manage by myself, so you think ill should just leave the spots then?

Yes, it feels lika a difficult work to manage by myself, so you think ill should just leave the spots then?

Yes, I would leave it as it is. I have Omega's with spots and discoloration, and it is better to have the dial original--preserves the value, if not the aesthetic appeal.

J

• 2 weeks later...

You know...there is a potentially insulting implication in your wording.

JC

Insulting to who? I'm saying the same you are saying:

Do not try to clean what is not dirty.

The othe sentence is not meant for anyone here.

Edited by jdm